Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a mini starter on my 1984 360 small block and ever since the first time i turned it over the starter would make this nasty clunk sound like its beating against something and i have no idea what it could be

·
Registered
63 Posts
when you mounted the new starter, did it easily fit flush against the bellhousing?

does it turn the engine over at all?  or just the clunk?

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
make sure cable connections are tight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll check the nose of it but it mounted flush and it turns the engine over and I’m not sure if it has anything to do with it but I haven’t set the ignition timing yet and it does the clink more depending where the distributor is

·
Registered
63 Posts
it's really tough without being there and witnessing it. 

I'd be tempted to try a different starter and see if it still does it

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now when i try to turn it over it sounds like something is stripped and doesnt turn over anymore so i may have definetly messed something up

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
its not that complicated onna dodge , 2 gears,  one on starter , and the big one on the engine . when you install a starter , it should go ALL the way in , up against the trans bell by hand , the nut / bolt just hold it there . A bad starter can ruin the big gear , then even a good starter will not mesh the 2 gears , OR even a rebuilt starter can BE bad . ( happens all the time ) There have been a few starter differences over the years , BUT the nice thing is that they ALL swap and work, IF it and the big gear are both good ....

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you havent already, I'd pull it back out and have a look at the teeth on both the starter and flywheel. 
I bet (and hope) you just got a crappy starter. 

I did a (internal) slave cylinder on my dads '99 Ranger once, and played hell trying to bleed the thing. 
Brand new, bad part.  Man, I was livid.  That thing was a bear to do. 

I think a lot of manufacturers find it cheaper to use us as "beta testers", and deal with a few returns, instead of actually ensuring their parts are good before they ship

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if you have an old one for a core , any a/parts store , ( well ok maybe not autozone ) ask for a ' 92 w or d 150 5.2
( 318) starter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.