Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 Dodge RC 4x4....I just ordered a rewire kit from Ron Francis an express kit.  I'm currently in Iraq working and I'm trying to get a build plan together and I was wondering how much time it is going to take me to rewire the truck?  My plan for the truck is a Magnum 360 with an Affordable Fuel Injection kit with the E85 kit also, tranny from PATC, a 2.5 in lift, completely rebuilding the axles (want to keep CAD, I like the shift on the fly), new interior, body work and paint.  New wheels and tires of course.  This is going to be a daily driver and my weekend camping rig, nothing extreme just making it a damn good RC!  I'm trying to get a budget put together and also a time line.  I'm not doing all the work myself, I will do as much as I can but I will outsource stuff also. If you guys have some info on what it took you to do some of these tasks it will help me plan my 30 days off when I get home! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well it looks like you will have a busy 30 days. I think if you plan it right its doable in that amount of time. Such as rebuilding the axles before the lift, pulling the interior and motor before the rewire ECT. I rewired my 88, I built my harness and it took me a solid week after work and weekends but I had my motor and interior still in place. The lift will take you about 8 hours, same with the motor tranny swap.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about just getting a 360 crate motor but I'm not sure who to deal with.  Has anyone had a good experience with a engine builder?  I have a 318 now and was thinking about a 408 stroker any ideas out there?

·
Premium Member
13,528 Posts
Geddes Auto Machine in Colorado Springs did this 408 for my buddy Pat - this is at the end of the break-in session - http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/'paddy's-wagon'-(-dyno-vids-)/100/

452 hp and 501 tq at the crank. It's an '89 360, eddy heads, compcams cam and rockers, eddy proflo efi, and the eagle bottom end. It's a healthy engine {cool}.

Start with an 88-91 or so roller pre-magnum engine and bolt on the good stuff and you'll have power literally to burn, and likely great mileage to boot.

- Sam

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep a notebook handy when disassembling and unplugging stuff.  You'd be surprised how simple it might look taking it apart and how complicated it is to figure out without notes. 

A digital camera is also very useful.  Often notes work out better, but the images are a great addition.

Ben

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sam,

Can you give me a ball park what that 408 would cost me?  I don't have a 360 block so I would have to find a block I'm assuming.  Can I just call Geddes up and have that build me the engine without having to furnish a block?  Any information would be great! thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,033 Posts
Calibrator said:
Sam,

Can you give me a ball park what that 408 would cost me? I don't have a 360 block so I would have to find a block I'm assuming. Can I just call Geddes up and have that build me the engine without having to furnish a block? Any information would be great! thanks
it depends on what you're looking for. An assembled 408, iron heads, probably about $3000 ($1700 is the stroker kit alone). Want aluminum heads with that? maybe another $1500-2000 more.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 5K budget for the engine but I was hoping to get the fuel injection system with it.  But I could fudge the budget a bit when the wife looks away! :)  I would like to get the most engine I can that can stand up to daily driving.  This will be my daily driver, I have been debating on a cummins vs gas forever....I have the wife talked into letting me get a cummins pickup! For yard work! LOL I love that woman because she has to know!! So I'm going to go gas on the RC!  I wish I could just drop the truck off with you Sam and have your shop build it for me! you do nice work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts