Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83' RC that is doing the same thing, I have also changed the wheel bearings, but did not do much good. I can't figure out what it is, but I would sure like to know what it is too!!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Did you check the driveshafts? Sometimes the balancing weights on them break or fall off. Try disconnecting your driveshaft and rotating it 180 degrees and reassemble.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Clean and inspect and regrease the slip yoke & splines on the driveshaft, wear there will cause a vibration. Check for snug fit, and smooth sliding, there should be very little rotational or side-to-side-flex play in the action.

If you take it completely apart, be certain to mark both parts FIRST, so you can put it back on the exact same orientation.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It can be very difficult to find vibrations because there are so many possible sources.
One I haven't seen mentioned here is a bad fan clutch.
Just a little wobble will give you vibrations. It will also leave you stranded on the side of the road when your water pump fails.

·
Registered
109 Posts
have you recently changed engines? do you have correct flywheel or torque converter? are the bolts tight? also sounds like u joint's or drive shaft angles.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
well before you get all outta whack like me and pull a motor cuz you cant find the vib try looking at your motor mounts. i pulled my motor and the passenger mount was almost nothing left. i recommend if you have a lot of miles to change them anyway or be in my boat. pull a motor that didnt need it and put in one that slings a rod 2 months later

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had the same problem with my RC. I couldn’t find the problem for 3 months and just blew it of as being an older truck. Then I broke a U-Joint. My U-Joint decided to break while I was pulling a trailer in between Yuma, AZ and Gila Bend, AZ in mid-summer. It is cheap and easy to change. If it has been a while since you have changed them or they aren’t maintained it’s worth the change anyway. There isn’t anything around for miles. Ever since that day I don’t neglect my U-Joints. If you read the troubleshooting section of your Service manual, it tells you that a sign of vibration at certain speeds might be caused by a bad U-Joint.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would definately check your u-joints. Sounds exactly like what mine does when I have a screwed u-joint, or a loose u-joint strap. May as well check all of them (back and front drive shafts, and front axle u-joints especially if you don't have hub lockouts.)

Dan

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Double check the cv joint on the xfer case end of the front drive shaft. Take it out and try to "straighten" it out. It should try to snap back to the side. If it flops around, or is easily held in a straightened position, it should be rebuilt. And its a booger bear to do at the house, imho, and well worth the money to have done at a reputable drive shaft shop. Good luck J!
Tony

·
Registered
109 Posts
the cv joint on front driveshaft will cause vibration and bang or clunk. it is kind of hard to check because it is spring loaded. clamp in vise or if still in truck put trans & transfer in nutral with brake set and try to move sideways/ up/ down with some force. it will take alot of force by hands to see if it is loose unless it is totally shot. just changed one in my 78. when balancing tires check for bent rim.

73 4x4
77 4x4
78 4x4
78 4x4
90 4x4
dakota quad 4x4

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Glad to hear your driveline is happy again, Juha. I too am curious how much tie rod ends cost, as mine are in the same condition.

BTW, if you have to have u joints mailed in to you, and plan on off roading your charger, I would suggest ordering some spares.

Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts