Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Re:tire question

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bigblue 
#1 ·
We call it "re-tread". 35/10.50/R15 for a tire that big in diameter, that's a little too narrow. I have 33/10.50/R15 and that's about as tall of tire for that width as I would go for serious offroading. But, if are just driving it on the street and some offroading, they'll work.{cool}

P.S.
What size are you going to use these tires on ( 15x7, 15x8, 15x10 )?

#2 ·
I've heard alot of bad things about retread tires. I've heard about them separating and coming apart while you are driving. I'm sure some of the other members will pipe in.

G
#3 ·
For driving on the streetand minor off roading re-treads or re-caps as we call them here in WY are fine if it's done right. I have used them in the past with only one problem. And that was on the sidewall not the cap. I wouldn't use them for any serious off roading though.

#5 ·
wycowboy said:
. I wouldn't use them for any serious off roading though.
Off roading wouldn't cause a problem with re-treads, the only thing that re-treads really have a problem with is highspeed-longdistance highway miles, and having alot of weight on them. Thats why 18 wheelers have soo many blowouts, they are dooing both the things that those tires don't like.

#6 ·
Todd said:
wycowboy said:
Off roading wouldn't cause a problem with re-treads, the only thing that re-treads really have a problem with is highspeed-longdistance highway miles, and having alot of weight on them. Thats why 18 wheelers have soo many blowouts, they are dooing both the things that those tires don't like.
Actually from what I have heard it is low air pressure that does it. If you run them soft they heat up more and faster which loosens up the tread from the casing. the other thing is if one is softer then the other (duallys) then the harder one will try to drag the softer one, scuffing it and heating it up more. Ever notice 2 things?
1, usually it is an outer trailer tire that peels,
2, on a recap, unless you hit somethin usually the whole tread will peel off, not blow out.
just my.02!
Chris

#7 ·
Well the blowouts are probably mostly new tires, Most retreads would lose the tread like you said instead of blowing completely out. And tread separatoin happens all the f*ing time on bigrigs.

#9 ·
Yep, modern retreads are pretty good. In the US the primary market is bigrig tires, and they wouldn't sell so well if there were really bad problems...

Do you knw if they are "Bandag" brand ? That's probably the biggest tire recycler brand name.

G
#10 ·
Todd said:
wycowboy said:
Actually, the big rigs have very little trouble with recaps. There are a lot more semi's running them than passenger cars. I drove a truck for Schnieder National for three years. They use recaps on all the axles except the steering axle. In the three years I drove for them I drove over 100,000 miles per year and never once had a recap go bad on me. The caps didn't peel off on me and I never had one blow out.

#11 ·
well i just finished a loooooooooooong reply but somehow it got deleted, oh well. personaly i would pass on them. especialy if they are bfg's. personal experience in the tire industry has left me suspicious of retreaded light truck tires. the heavy duty versions of LT tires are another matter. unless they are a product of a local retreader, they are likely to be poor quality imports from a company that has questionable retreading procedures. ie: a company who would cap a poor quality cassing for export. if they are imported they are more likely a "hot cap" this is an older procedure. the new tread rubber is attached to the cassing ussing high temps.

a "retreaded" or "rebuilt" tire has the new tread rubber attached ussing a combination of chemical reaction, heat and high preasure kilns.

for the most part retreads are not the ideal tire for a high flex invironment. if you plan on ussing these tires off-road a lot and at a low preasure the twisting and flexing would eventualy break the bond and the caps would start to lift on the edges.

unless these tires come with a good waranty i'd stay away from them.

if you'd like more details on the retreading process or how a tire is inspected for retread or just more info on tires in general let me know and i'll do my best to dig up all my literature from the companies i've worked for(goodyear, bandag, oliver-all retread/new in the heavy truck department)

#12 ·
i don't know the price of the l/t tires in the states, but here in ontario the only people ussing them are fleets(school buses, ups etc...) a 235/75r16 cost about 150 cnd.

do you know the brand of the retread? bandag is the best one over here right now (michelin just got back into the canadian retread market so i will have to wait and see how they hold up. they look really well done, if it's a michelin cassing they garanty it as new, anyother and the waranty is a little less)

if you do buy them could you post a picture, curious to see them

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.