Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you can get an adapter that you splice into your heater hose and connect a garden host to the fitting and remove the bottem radaitor hose and flowwatter tru untill it comes out clean then fill with your mix of antifreze. ......... my methoud is to remove the radiator completly, remove the thermostatand run water tru the thermostat housing and flush the block that way then turn the radiator upside down and back flush it that way. but that is just the way i do it. ........... sounds to me if it's frozen then winter is there. lol. David

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Which ever way you choose to flush the system, don't forget the heater core.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not sure what companies supply anti freeze products in your neck of the woods but over here Prestone is the major supplier. They have a little kit that you can get at Walmart for roughly 5$ that included the necessary clamps and fittings that thesasquach was mentioning. You basically are installing a T in your heater hose so you can connect to a hose.

I usually install the hose fitting and connect the hose. Drain the radiator. Turn the water on to the hose and start car. You then turn on your heater(for the interior of the vehicle) and let it run for awhile. If it has been awhile since you flushed then your heater core can get clogged up. Disconnect both heater hoses so that there is nothing between the end of the hose and the firewall(no extraneous fittings or control mechanisms. Then stick a hose nozzle in one end and gradually increase the pressure of the water. This will flush all of the bad stufff out of your heater core and make you nice and toasty this winter. Lastly I will disconnect the bottom radiator hose and let everything drain out. Reconnect all hoses and close up the radiator plug. Fill with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and you are done!

IMPORTANT! Never ever ever mix the green antifreeze fluid with the orange.... As a matter of fact just stay away from the orange all together. And do not add any clay pellets or any stop leak type of products. They have been known to completely block off passages in your engine. And if you mix the orange and green antifreeze it makes mud like material which is not very good either...

Marcus

·
Registered
381 Posts
watch the water pressure you could redecorate your interior by blowing up the heater core, your radiator probably runs 14-16 psi (100-110 kPa) and house pressure here is around 50 psi(350 kPa)---been there, done that but it was a Pinto so it really didn't count!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
See if you can buy a flushing kit. There are two types of stuff to clean the system, one you run 8-10 hours the other 10 minutes. This removes rust and deposits in the radiator and heater core.
Then install the "T" on the heater inlet hose (with the valve)
and back flush the whole system with the valve open (heat on high) until the water is clear. Drain the radiator and add antifreeze.
And you may want more than a 50/50 mix..maybe 60/40 it all depends on your expected low temperature 50/50 is good down to -37C

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I just read a quick tip in 4Wheel and Off Road Magazine where a guy puts dish washing liquid in his radiator and runs it for an hour, then drains it. Says that everything inside comes out and the systems runs nice and clean. I haven't tried this buy I supose it would work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw that about the dishwashing liquid too. Remember, if you do try it, use the soap for the automatic dishwasher not the liquid by hand stuff. You will give your motor a bubble bath. The auto dishwasher stuff doesnt bubble up. I have used it to clean greasy parts but never in the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts