Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gonna be re-sealing my oil pan on the 78 with a 360/727. does anyone have any pointers for a hassle free job with leak free results? also, while i have the pan down, is there anything else i should replace? thanks.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
oil pump and pickup, rear main, and also anything else you may think about. i am currantly doing the same thing. it does help to drop the starter, and bellhousing inspection cover. if its been on there a while take a look at my thread like you already have:p

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the rear main, its purpose, location (rear obviously, but where) and how hard is it to replace? do i need a new gasket for the starter after i take it off? and do i need a new gasket for the inspection cover? just asking so i can get all the parts to get it done as fast a possible.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ok the rear main seal is what keeps the oil from leaking out from the rear main bearing. it is under the rear main bearing cap at the rear of the motor. there is no gasket for either the starter or inspection cover. just bolt and go. if i had my truck here i could give you the NAPA part # for the oil pan gasket and the oil pump. i also have the # for the MP oil pan set for a rear sump, if you want to do that also but its not nessessary.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Definitly check out moparpw200guy's thread about his oil pan, there is a lot of good info there about it. If you plan on replacing the rear main seal, be in for a chore, it won't come out easy.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've done the pan a couple times, 318 and 360. The most difficult part was gettting the pan back up with out screwing up the gaskets. I had to turn the crank (by hand) to get the counter-weights out of the way. It took me a couple of tries the first time. Since then, I read (on this board) that someone suggested using thread to tie the gasket in place (through the bolt holes on the pan). That seems like a way to keep the gasket in place while getting the pan in place.

If I could do one thing differently after doing it, I would get someone to help me. It sucked doing it alone. I don't have enough hands.

Ted

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The thread would work, or since you'll be using RTV just dab that in a few places on the gasket and stick it to the pan.

·
Registered
647 Posts
On a side note with regard to the rear main, I had to have it mine towed to a shop and have them do it. They bought a tool from CarQuest that was refered to as a sneaky sam to get the rear main out. I had tried for a couple of days but had to give in to defeat.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Sneaky Sam, huh? ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have a sneeky pete... thats what it is here i guess but i used a little rtv and then puthe pan up. 2nd time was a charm i guess...

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I bought that sneaky pete from napa for my rear main accept it broke when I was threading it into the seal. I'm sure it would have worked wonders if it wouldn't have broken.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
One thing I just thought of....take your time tightening the bolts back up and tighten them evenly. The gasket can easily get squeezed out of place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts