Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmm...I would say the pump bearing is done . Umm...replace the power steering pump but this requires yanking off the pulley and you will need a s[pecial puller to get it off . So I would have shop replace it for you man .

bt83rc

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Ramcharger89,

Lets eliminate the easy things first:

Fluid level (especially not over filled)

No external leakage

Place the RC up on stands (or lift) and turn the wheel lock to lock, first with the engine off, checking for binding, then with the engine running, again checking for binding.

No binding felt in the steering box

No vibration felt in the PS pump (worn bearings)

Kinked or collapsed hose (rare)

OK, once here and everything checks out, then the problem is with the power steering pump - Flow control valve (sticking), dislodged flow control bore plug ring, pressure relief valve loose, worn or damaged internal components (rotor vanes). Its likely one of the 10 rotor vanes broke and ended up lodging in the flow control valve although this is uncommon.

Reman units can be purchased at just about any reliable parts store (call aroung for best price/value, they're not too expensive) and aren't too diffucult to install with hand tools. The old mounting bracket will have to be switched to the new pump, and the fittings going to the pump might be metric. Refill with quality power steering fliud.

Let us know if you need any more help, and how it turns out so we all can learn.

Rich

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i had this problem in my 90 RC, and it ended up being the little plastic plug causing all my troubles. i had the vehicle in to the dealership for some hose replacements (nice to know they use quality NAPA parts!) and mentioned it to them. they checked it and replaced the little plug (it was red) or seal, or whatever it was and my problems disappeared. apparently my power steering fluid was leaking (don't know how i missed that) and that was the cause of the squeal. i hope your problem turns out to be this simple. good luck! :)

G

·
You might want to check the really simple things first. Is the belt worn or loose? Is the fluid level correct? Check the fluid warm and look for leaks, especially around the steering gear box.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
OhPinions said:
Refill with quality power steering fliud.
Rich
Hey Rich, nice coverage on the subject...but, have I erred all these years by using tranny fluid for my pwr steering? :(
Tony

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
RD,

My second "Yikes" today, FSM quotes Power Steering Fluid, P/N - 4318055 or equivalent. Maybe this will help dispell some long held notions. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Even if the belt looks good at first glance, make sure it isn't glazed. This WILL make the belt squeal and the pump operation erratic.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
boba said:
Even if the belt looks good at first glance, make sure it isn't glazed. This WILL make the belt squeal and the pump operation erratic.
This would be my guess, too. The belt seems to be slipping. Also, make sure you have a proper fit of the "V" part of the belt. Your pulley could be glazed up OR if you got a fluid leak that is getting to this area it could help make it slip. And don't turn your wheel if your not moving will help, too ;).

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I have the exact same problem with mine but only when the wheel is cut as far as it will go

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
JAmEs318 said:
I have the exact same problem with mine but only when the wheel is cut as far as it will go
same here, I was beginning to think it was normal, I know I need new belts though.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
ramdodger said:
OhPinions said:
My second "Yikes" today,
yer on top of it man! keep up the good work... ;D
Thanks and in the fsm in big bold print are the words: "CAUTION - Do NOT use automatic transmission fluid".

G

·
Ramcharger89 said:
I checked and belt and it is in good condition and tight. -Thanks Roy
Mine did the same thing. I figured it was low PS fluid combined with leaky steering box. Guy at the garage fixed it in five minutes, literally, with a wrench and a big pry bar. Apparently the belt has to be not just tight, but TIGHT! Haven't had a problem since.

Now a slight digression. When this was done, as I watched, he said to expect to see coolant coming out. Seems the PS pump adjustment bolt does double duty as a water pump hold down. So, if your mechanic tries to sell you something else at the same time, I'd look upon him with a skeptical eye.

My 2 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts