Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would get a mechanical gauge right now before i drive it again and hook it up to see what's going on, better to do this than be dum and find out the gauge was right and need a motor or find out there is no problem and the gauge is wrong it's your decision buy a gauge = tops $50 or buy a motor $3000 and 10 minutes install guage or 8 hrs to install new motor

·
Registered
326 Posts
I agree get a real gauge on it.Maybe simple as a sending unit or a gauge.Or maybe not?Does the motor make any noise when it loses oil pressure?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Still recommend checking oil pressure manually.I have seen issues with vehicles with poor maint.( not knowing the history of your vehicle)after the engine warms up the oil pickup becomes so restricted thatit cant pick up enough oil. possibility. Usually dont see oil pump failures

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I WOULDN'T DRIVE that truck no more till i found out what was going on, if i heard a noise it would have been shut off immeadiately and pushed home.

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you stopped driving it

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I always stop and inspect when ever I hear a "new" noise in my rig, and when it comes the the oil system, if its suspect, park it. It'll save $$$$ in the long run.

G

·
I would guess that your oil pickup screen is getting clogged up and starving the motor of oil. I had the same problem in my 98 QC. But I caught it before it got totally clogged when I changed my leaky oil pan gasket. The wierd thing was is that I change my oil religiously. But I have heard of other people having this problem also. If that's covered under warrenty drive the damn thing until it blows up. ;D ;D

·
Registered
461 Posts
That's a pretty common practice with dealers, they will either do that or take them to the auction. if they can't sell them.
Did they change oil on it before you got it? If they did they know about it and stuck real thick oil in it just to sell it. If I were you I'd just take it in and let your dealership deal with it

Good Luck

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts