Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i dont have my own 4x4 yet but the jeeps i ve crawled under have a tag or sticker on bottom of case.
what year is your ramcharger? is it the original t case? part time or full time? as far as i know all the cases except the 205 take ATF or SAE30 . i think the 205 takes gear lube.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have the specs only on the NP-205 and the NP-208

Lacking any marking (the 208 should be stamped on the back side of the case) the 205 has a bolted rear output shaft adapter and the case is one cast piece. It takes multi-purpose gear oil.

The NP-208 is a two piece case and the rear output shaft flange is cast into the case. IMPORTANT NOTE: the 208 uses DEXTRON II (or equivalent).

Someone else will have to chime in for the other TC's you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The transfer case has a tag that is rivited to the back. This tells you what kind of t case you have. Try looking in your owners manual. That will tell you what kind of t case you have and what kind of fluid you need. The 208 uses ATF just like the auto tranny.

·
Registered
322 Posts
'78 ramcharger? if its stock, it has a 203 fulltime t-case. that one takes gear oil, any type will do. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
FULLSIZE said:
'78 ramcharger? if its stock, it has a 203 fulltime t-case. that one takes gear oil, any type will do. ;)
You're half right, Fullsize. If stock, it's a NP203 in that RC, but it uses 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil. Do not put gear lube in it!

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
GunPilot said:
You're half right, Fullsize. If stock, it's a NP203 in that RC, but it uses 10-30 or 10-40 motor oil. Do not put gear lube in it!
Yep. Should be a 203, don't use gear lube. I think the owners manual calls for 30W, but 10W30 or 10W40 will work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts