Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mind if ask what it cost you? :)

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
big jim said:
santak said:
mind if ask what it cost you? :)
[/About 4k. Of which 700 was for the coil brackets. Kind of pricey but cheaper than a new truck.quote]
Wow, would of been cheaper to stick a rebuilt dana 60 under there and a dana 70 in the rear.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I upgraded my 44 to a used stock 1988 Dana 60 HD and even after crossover steering and hydraulic steering assist I'm into it for less than 2k. That Dana 60 is nearly as strong as the D44 you bought and I can still make it stronger if I break something. I almost went the same route that you did until I called Dynatrac and starting putting prices together.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Energizer said:
I upgraded my 44 to a used stock 1988 Dana 60 HD and even after crossover steering and hydraulic steering assist I'm into it for less than 2k. That Dana 60 is nearly as strong as the D44 you bought and I can still make it stronger if I break something. I almost went the same route that you did until I called Dynatrac and starting putting prices together.
First, your Dana 60 is already far stronger than a Dana 44, even an expensive one from Dynatrac.

Second, you swapped in a factory built axle. Jim had no such option, a custom axle was the only option (except for a '94+ Dana 60, which still has ball joints, unit bearings and CAD). A custom axle will almost always be more expensive than a used factory built piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts