Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck must still be under warranty so I'd take it to the dealer. Lots of things can trip your service lights. When the service light lit up on my Frontier the thing drove fine. No apparent problems. I brought it in and it turns out some emissions sensor was bad. Didn't cost me anything.

Other than that you can always go up under the dash and pull out the bulb.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Unhooking the batt will not reset the light. I belive there is a trip in the comp to trip the light at 40k for regular service. If I were you I would just go and pay the 60 or so bucks and get them to run the DRB on it just to see what is going on. There might be a problem that you don't know about even tho there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the truck. Plus they can reset the light for you.

Some people will say to just take the bulb out but its my opinion that you are defeating the purpose of the light. Its there to tell you when something is wrong with the truck...so its there for a reason. So it would be kinda usless if you took the bulb out

Mike

G

·
You can take it to Autozone and they will hook up their tester and tell you what is tripping the light, it won't cost anything either. They provide this service for free although you might have to wait a little while if they're busy. I work at the local Autozone and we test stuff all the time, of course we hope you'll buy the parts from us but no purchase is necessary to take advantage of this. Hope you've got an Autozone near you. It'll save you some money at the dealer too.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I did not know that they would run the test. Thanks for the info. I will applaud you! ;D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Emissions parts warranty is longer than regular warranty, it varies by year, my 95 was 80,000 miles and it got me a new catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well if you unhooked the batt and the light went out (cause you reset the computer) then it did not come on because for mat. It came on for some reason. its only a matter of time before whatever tripped the light before causes it to trip again. Assuming that it just wasn't a fluke thing. Lets hope that it was. Good luck!

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts