Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goddamn Rockauto.  I can't stand worthless parts catalogs.    {flame}

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
daryl78powerwagon said:
One thing just crossed my mind. I tested the volts coming off the post on the alternator and it was only putting out 11.7 volts. Is that do to the regulator telling it not to put out more?

I ask since I am only getting 10.7 volts to my a/c clutch and the turn signal and head light issue. But it's also so strange that my battery has stayed fully charged consistently.

Do I really have a bad alt or could I have another issue not letting the a/c not get all the power it needs.
Things I would check first. Is there 12 volts (or battery voltage), at one of the two field wires at the alt? If yes, while measuring the output voltage, jump the other field terminal to ground for a second, and watch the voltage output. If it increases, check the voltage reg. If it does not, then (after shutting off the engine), check the brushes on the alt. Unscrew the holder, the brush should stick out 1/4" or more from the holder.

If you do not have battery voltage at one of the field wires, you have a wiring issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.