Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes Sir, I needed a laugh today, we're all prepped, generator, all the essentials.. now i'm just distracting myself.. We're staring down the barrel of a Cat 5.. The Bahamas real estate got rearranged & people ...who knows..  :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Elwenil: Thank you for the well wishes.. Yes Sir. Absolutely. This one is small but tightly wound unlike Irma 2 yrs ago was few hundred miles wide, we felt tropical winds, until it got to us and the eye wall passed over. By then about half of the circulation had been "wind sheared" off. You would think that it would have collapsed..No..the other half still rotated. I took an image of a satellite look down, It still clocked a constant 95 mph, when the eye wall passed over our area of the county, it vibrated our roof and house.. I bought a 5500 watt generator in 05 so we were fairly comfortable. I lived in the Philly & burbs NJ/NYC area, no different than being prepared for a snowstorm and power outages.. If you are away from any potential storm surge, it's just the wind gusts, and the spawning of tornadoes, you need to watch, as well as knowing which streets would become inpassable because of flooding and slow drain off. I took my RC through where you would never take a car.  Public Service Announcement: Never drive through streets that are flooded. Hi J-Jim: We are in the Riverview area, about 15 miles E of Tampa, as you all are on the West side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jungle: 
Sorry / forgot to reply..  Riverview Brandon area..  4 ft is a lot of altitude for Pinellas County..  I saw a flood chart years ago that was,  I think was mistakenly aired..  for a few seconds during a Hurricane in the gulf ..sometime within the past 12 years. It also could have since changed..  It was showing the storm surge, it showed only two areas of elevated ground in the Pinellas possible Largo area. That was a reality check..wow. They have to consult the County Flood plain / charts to see if they are in a Flood zone. You can be in one far away from the beach or inlet, or river, stream, etc... because your neighborhood is in a low lying area, prone to street or intersection flooding. Most all homeowners insurance policy's of course cover wind damage to structures etc etc but NOT from rising waters which is common in low lying neighborhoods. Many are near bodies of water large and small lakes etc.. or have slow storm water drain off etc.. I'm no expert, just a homeowner.  So to protect your property, one must buy separate National Flood Insurance, the premium is fairly reasonable, they send you the policy etc and information / claim instruction booklet. We used to buy it, but are no longer in a flood zone because with the new construction in the area over the last 15 years, new runoff ponds / water retention ponds were installed, the roadside ditches were dug out and enlarged etc to improve drainage etc.. It's always best to check with your County authority to know exactly at which point you will be subject to flooding.. Also you can't wait for a possible Hurricane to develop as they, as I recall prevent last minute customers from taking out a policy when a low forms or some other development. Or I think your not covered for the first 30 or 60 days ...whatever of your policy. I don't know exactly so again It's best for your in laws to make sure they know where they stand re Hurricane coverage.

Also It's pretty deceiving being in a Hurricane, If you've never been in one.. the bands of heavy rain come over in waves, after each one.... the time varies with each storm due to the separation, re how wide apart the rain bands are from each other. But many new comers will come out because it's sunny and clear, no rain... then the next band hits, and trees fall, or get limbs broken off and flying debris can be a fatal mistake. They should get a NOAA weather band radio that can be put on silent mode that will give a audio message from National Weather service when a Tornado watch or warning is issued.. Thos You the those occasionally because the Hurricane spawns them.. I'm sure they know how to prep, but good to see if they do that stuff. That NOAA radio only cost me about $39.00.. The information on how to prepare is widely available here.. I just scratched the surface..  Regards. EddieK 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim:  I try not to go off topic, but this stuff is good to know.. We pretty much are set all year, about a 9 days or so when something is developing  off the Africa west coast, we do a quick inventory check, lay in several cases of water. We have a portable Generator 5,500 watts, with cords that can be routed through the french patio doors to a fridge, a large Freezer in the garage, to the flat screen, microwave, Keurig, a portable window AC. 7 days before i empty my 4 jerry gas (5 gallon) cans into both vehicles, and refill them.
We lay in batteries for led flashlights... any of them can light a room.. 
We have aluminum panels that can be dropped onto studs and secured over all windows.. with wing nuts a day or two before hurricane force winds arrive, that's when the cone is pretty sure.. will do if Tropical winds are up there near 50- 60 gusts...  5 days before we top off the fridge with cold cuts, few cases of beer in garage.. a day or two before it hits . we check everything, we haven't missed anything yet..  If it looks really bad we will FILL the tub with water.. In case the water dept pumping stations go out.. Never happened in 30 years...but still a good idea..  OH for cooking.. Propane Grill, with 5 gal tank, a portable self contained charcoal grill - open it up and light it.. Pluse we have a regular charcoal grill with several 5 gallon paint cans with lids, filled with charcoal, and a a butane portable two burner..  cooking stove.. and of course butane tanks... So we have several ways to cook also.. OH don't forget to consider a heavy duty self priming syphon in case you need to tap the gas tanks , I have my RC which holds I think.. 25 or 30 gal.. for generator needs if necessary.. P.S.  The 5,500 generator uses about 8 gal over a 12 to 14 hr day.. But you can turn it on and off to keep the fridge and Freezer where they need to be say, 2 hours on, 3 off..... you got to experiment with that.. If you want to stretch the gasoline supply..
I'd say we could go 2 to 3 weeks without assistance.... OH don't forget the dry goods, can goods....  and a way to keep the cell phones charged.. You don't want to use a automobile engine for that..  also don't forget prescriptions  ....and pet food etc.. and a first aid kit that is stocked better than adverage..  I filled a three ring binder with a checklist...and other important info.. .Lastly through out the years if we see something on sale that fit's the above catagories we get it.  camp style lanterns  now LED is the preferred vs flamable ..
Sorry for the typos...typing fast.. Regards.. ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes a prepper.. I was a boy scout..Ha ha... the motto.. "Be Prepared".. p.s. during Hurricane Irma.. we passed the time in AC comfort, hot coffee in the morning, steaks in the evening..  OH..the only thing uncomfortable was cool showers... Could have rigged up the hot water heater.. but we surmised we would be out of power only for 5 days I think it was only 2 1/2 days..  Better than sweating and eating beans out of a can.. Ha Ha HA Ha.. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good.. One last thing. My folks moved to Sarasota.. not far either from Treasure Island.. in 75...Dad's brother and wife, and also my grandparents.. All built .. (3) homes on the same street. in Philly all three lived in brick row homes that were 80 plus years old.
Just like old times as they say. I and spouse relocated here via a military/civilian transfer..to the base. My dad said that the hurricane activity ran in about 20 year cycles... from a few tropical storms each hurricane season to several up the east coast and one bad one ...whenever.. I never researched it. In 2004...we did have four (4) come straight up the middle of the state. Very unusual. We joked about that 6 or 7 week time frame. the weekend is almost here what's the Hurricane's name for this weekend ? So combining my dad's experience from 75 to mine from 82 to the present, I would tend to agree overall. he was correct... that the vast majority wipe or graze the east coast every 6 or more years one may be strong enough to cross the state.. and manage to exit into the gulf..and restrengthen or come up into the Gulf of Mexico from Cubr.. When they do 99.8 out of 100 go straight up and run right into Mobile and proceed through the AL and MS area.. some folks in that area much of it low and flat.. and ...though well inland....need flood insurance more than many of us do... here.. Good for you and the Mrs on your plans.. We left a lot of friends up in Philly and N.J. ditto our parents, the WW 2 generation... Dad retired from Phila Fire Dept as did most of his friends all total 12 couples did the same. All gone now. They had a rough life but made up for it. Many others that we knew also just couldn't bring themselves to do the same, for various reasons e.g. crime-declining-neighborhoods-- ditto home values.. aging. Many others had family ties.. and obligations..It certainly helps if your extended family thinks as you do. Bottom line, many never got out.. We still went back to visit each summer my wife's family, but as time progressed we felt less and less sentimentality / re home.. What you see up there now re Baltimore, Phila civil disturbances, shootouts with Poilce etc have only increased.. .only reaffirmed the correctness of the choice. Never could get her mom to come down to stay after her dad passed.
As you know YES the summer is oppressive (this summer was the worst I can recall) but the balance of the year is more than worth it.. . Stick to your plan. Good luck !!! Plan the plan then work the plan.. ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.