Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had the plans for the discontinued RCC spring lift for a while now, and i finally took them over to the welding shop.
They want 300 bucks to build these things!!!(just the two front hangers and two shackles)
I can weld pretty good, i just dont have the means to cut all the peices i need. I can use a torch, but everything will look crappy if i do that.
Any input???

·
5,655 Posts
I build mine for under $150 thats because i bought a 4x8 sheet od 3/8 steel. I cut them out with a torch and welded them together witha arc welder. Mine don't look reall pretty but that is becaseu i didn't spend much time witht he grinder a little time with a grinder will make them look good. do it your self.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
man you can cut steel with a gas torch that is so smooth it looks machined.

it is all in a steady hand and proper speed.

plus you must trace over the pattern with a heat flame first. it pre heats. then go back over with cutter.

a band saw could work but is time consuming. a plasma is great.

talk to metal supplier they can make the cuts for a flat rate X$ per cut. plus they likley have plasma or automated flame cutter.

take your time. smooth metal has less stress risers.

try to MIG weld it if at all possible.

there are migging techniques you can use to get an awesome weld.

but first you must practice on scrap of same size welding a "T" joint. then put "T" into chop saw. chop right through and inspect cross section of metal. you can see weld penetration and any inclusions. if ur really high speed you could dip the cross section in a lil diluted muriatic acid and rinse off. then polish the cross section. weld bead shows up slightly tinted can see how far into base metal it melted.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If you can do it yourself you will save $$$. It can't hurt to try it. My RCC lift didn't cost me a penny largley because my dad was a welder for 25+ years and had packratted scrap metal over those 25+ years and had it all laying around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.