Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the problem. I've been working on my RC over the past couple of years. Now its been about 2-3 months since I last had the engine running. Now I can't get it to start. It will turn over and will start with starting fluid but will die again when the starting fluid runs out. I have a little over a 1/4 tank of gas. half of which I just put in last week. I've tried on several occasions to get it to start, but nothing. The thing that bothers me is that it ran just a couple of months and fuel pumps and filtersdon't go bad from sitting, well, not for sitting for a couple of months anyway? I ttied to take the fuel line off of the carb to see if it was getting any fuel, but I couldn't get the line loose and didn't want to break the line to find out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
436 Posts
if it'll run with starting fluid, then it's a fuel problem. so like it or not your going to have to get that fuel line off your carb sooner or later. other wise I suposse you could check the fuel pressure at the outlet of the fuel pump. if you don't have a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge, you should get one, it's a must have.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Just disconnect the rubber fuel line at the filter, disconnect the coil wire, and have someone crank the engine over while you hold a cup underneath the disconnected fuel line (fuel should shoot out of the line, so be prepared for it) This test will not tell you if the fuel pump is operating at the correct spec'd pressure, but will at least tell you if it is actually pumping fuel.

If it is still pumping fuel, my vote goes to a stuck needle& seat (which can happen from sitting...varnish can build up preventing the needle from lifting off the seat. In this case the carb bowls are empty, thus no fuel.

-SM

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I agree, it's the carb. 2-3 months is plenty of time in the summer months to glue that needle to the seat. Try to cheat (prolly won't work, but it will take 5 mins to try) by pulling the fuel inlet adapter on the carb off , and blast away with carb cleaner. You just might unseat the needle. If it does work, it won't mean somewhere else in the carb isn't gummed up as well, but who knows?

·
Registered
196 Posts
leaky charcoal canister? check the bowl vent that comes off the front of the carb and a tube that leads from the canister on the passenger fenderwell. Assumin it's a Rochester 4 barrel. If ya see any black dust pieces that come from the tube, it's in your carb too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts