Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought another RC a couple days ago. This one has a 318, it is a 1983. Someone put a points type dist in it and couldn't get it to start, I put an electronic that only has one plug coming off the side. I also put a new coil, but the wires on this truck have been cut and are pretty mangled. I thought I had the right wires going to the coil, but I can't get a spark out of it. How do I go about getting the right wires run to the coil? And then will this dist. work? My Haynes manual shows a dist. that has two wires coming off of each side. Help me start this thing.!!!!!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
check the colors on the wires and compair them to an OLDER model truck wiring diagram. if all else fails find an engine harness and dist out of an 83 like yours... just an idea

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the wires on my 78 and I have the same color wires goin to the coil. I then tested with a test light, The + side lights up my test light real bright and the negative side lights up dim. Nothing at the coil wire itself.

·
7,995 Posts
First, test the pickup inside the dist with an ohmmeter...make sure it's between 150 ohms and 900 ohms. If you don't get a signal from the dist you will never see a spark. The mangled wires may be the real problem here?:) You may be time and money ahead by getting a Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition conversion kit as it sounds like your truck may have had a Lean Burn system or the ESA Electronic Spark Advance which can be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Chump said:
First, test the pickup inside the dist with an ohmmeter...make sure it's between 150 ohms and 900 ohms. If you don't get a signal from the dist you will never see a spark. The mangled wires may be the real problem here?:) You may be time and money ahead by getting a Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition conversion kit as it sounds like your truck may have had a Lean Burn system or the ESA Electronic Spark Advance which can be a PITA.
He would have a big @$$ box on his air filter assembly, unless someone swapped it out already. (which is entirely possible). I agree that the mopar performance conversion would be a good idea.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mangled wires are the problem, I put my orange box and flame thrower coil on it and had one hell of a spark, until I tried to start it. Then it burnt up my coil or box one. Don't know which but do know that my 78 won't start now!! I'm going to rip all wiring from firewall forward out and start over..

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
So u know don't use your good parts off your running truck to fix another I got an MSD coil here collecting dust if u nned it .

·
Registered
59 Posts
the electronic spark controll wont ness. be on the breather. itcould be located on the driver side fender.as for your dist. it should work with the one plug. the second plug went to the spark controll. if the truck had the spark controll youll want to change it over, it will onoly cost about 755.00 since you have a distributor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks chump, I ordered the conversion kit! What about a digram for the 83? What do I do with the extra plug to the distributor? Just leave it unhooked?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
ddman said:
the electronic spark controll wont ness. be on the breather. itcould be located on the driver side fender.as for your dist. it should work with the one plug. the second plug went to the spark controll. if the truck had the spark controll youll want to change it over, it will onoly cost about 755.00 since you have a distributor.
The SCC for 1981-1984 models was on the air breather. For 1985-1987 it was on the drivers side fender, behind the battery.
The MP conversion kit is about $250, less through summit. The dual pickup distributors had one pickup for starting, and one pickup for running. If you buy the conversion, it will come with all new wiring and you can junk the old crap.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey guys, on my last post i hit the 5 too many times. the kit i bought from chrysler was 75.00. and i had a dist. it isnt hard to change over if you get the wiring instructions with your kit, mine didnt come withit. and my truck is a 86 that is why i said the scc would be on the fender. im not totally sure on the earlier ones, but ill take your word, youve been right on with your advice and i have learned alot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have seen alot of old coils that will fire hooked up backwards so it must have been somthing else but you did good to get a kit wich will cure hopfully all that mangled wire buisness too.I love the kits you can get now they are getting better and better for experienced and beginers too that want to do it themselvs good instructions,support,materials,overall performance and satisfaction too.

Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts