Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - i have an 89 RC, 360 5.9, 4x4.  Took a drive yesterday, about mid 70's so nothing out of the ordinary weatherwise.  Got home and coolant tank was bubbling/puking.  Just did an oil change so don't know what happened.

Anyway, I'm noticing a slight "grinding" sound that comes and goes.  When I turn the truck off, I hear the grind for like 1 or 2 revolutions.  Is this a bad water pump? 

THanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The water pump stops turning with the engine, the fan clutch will coast on after shut down and may be the grinding noise you are hearing and the cause of the over heating as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
440 4spd Power Ram said:
The water pump stops turning with the engine, the fan clutch will coast on after shut down and may be the grinding noise you are hearing and the cause of the over heating as well.
Thanks - how does the fan clutch cause overheating? Any recommendations on what i need to do to fix? thx

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Rexmobile said:
Thanks - how does the fan clutch cause overheating? Any recommendations on what i need to do to fix? thx
When a fan clutch wears out it does not turn like it should and does not move enough air through the radiator, this causes overheating at low speeds.

Check the fan clutch and see if it is free wheeling and if the bearings are worn out, if it wobbles on the shaft it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
the fan should be turning when the motor is turning.  
you should be able to go out and with the (motor NOT RUNNING) and turn the fan.
it will have some resistance.
if you can spin it and it doesnt stop and does another revolution or two  it is shot.
it will not have enough resistance to spin fast enogh to keep the motor cool.
while you are out there look at the water pump and look for antrifreeze trails.

if you see leaks from the shaft or the weep hole below it it is going out too

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
440 4spd Power Ram said:
When a fan clutch wears out it does not turn like it should and does not move enough air through the radiator, this causes overheating at low speeds.

Check the fan clutch and see if it is free wheeling and if the bearings are worn out, if it wobbles on the shaft it's time for a new one.
Gotcha - I can turn the fan, but there is resistance (a lot actually) and it doesn't free wheel. BUT, it is a little wobbly when the motor is running.

Changed thermostat (old one seemed fine).

Also, I just did an oil change, and first time I used 1 bottle of LUCAS. Could that have anything to do with tit? Using 1030 oil, BOSCH filter.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Grinding combined with puking coolant & overheating usually points to a water pump.  Since your fan is wobbling too, definitely need to check it out.

If you end up going the water pump route, and there's 100,000 miles on the current timing chain & gear, you might want to take the opportunity to replace it while you're in there.

Good luck & keep us posted!
Missy

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
There should not be any wobbling.  That means a problem with the pump.  You need to remove the belts and fan and check it out better.  By the description, I would not be surprised if that pump is bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi folks - just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read my post on overheating, and correctly diagnosing.  It was the fan clutch.  Bearings were squashed.  Replaced the clutch, fired her up, it was like I was in a wind tunnel.  Drove around, idled w/ full A/C on, NO OVERHEATING!!

Thanks again for all the help - hopefully I can start contributing more. {cool}

1 - 10 of 10 Posts