Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been thinking, i wanna go from using the liftgate to having a tailgate on there. how wouod i do it? or does it just bolt up? and i know i would need to make a custom upper half.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Someone started doing it a while ago, but I never saw the end result. I think he cut the tailgate in half and added hinges and latches.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've been thinking of doing something similar - but for a different reason.
What it you cut off part of the top up to behind the front seats across and down along the large side windows along the small ridge below the large window also loosing the entire lift gate.
then put the pick-up tail gate and add custom ragtop.
I figur this will tahe near 1000 lbs of weight.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Ram-Rod said:
I've been thinking of doing something similar - but for a different reason.
What it you cut off part of the top up to behind the front seats across and down along the large side windows along the small ridge below the large window also loosing the entire lift gate.
then put the pick-up tail gate and add custom ragtop.
I figur this will tahe near 1000 lbs of weight.
it will also weaken the structural integrity of the body. so if you did this, you would have to do lots of reinforcing of the body

eric

·
Registered
321 Posts
intenseimages said:
it will also weaken the structural integrity of the body. so if you did this, you would have to do lots of reinforcing of the body

eric
Yea, I figured I'd weld in a stiffner pipe between the two walls along the entie cut and extend the roll bar to the back.
what do ya'think?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like it would work, or could be made to work. and what about taking the liftgate, cutting it in half about where the tailgate would be and then keeping the stock upper half and tailgate lower. sound like it would work?

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
yeah it would, gimme some time and i can find you some pictures. i was thinking about doing this until one rainy day at the track. i just opened up the gate and sat there all nice and dry. you can't do that with a tailgate.

Jake

Jake

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im talking about like stock 70s rc style, half and half. still get some protection that way if your actually inside it.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I'll be doing this swap in the next month or two. I'll let you know how it goes. {cool}

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
How about finding an old TD or RC and just using the rear hatch and tail gate off that? It should fit better and be easier than cutting up your old fiberglass hatch.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the fiberglass is only the inner side. and looking at the gas struts, they are connected right above where it would be the gap of the two so thats not a prob either. just need to cut it and put a tailgate.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
How about finding an old TD or RC and just using the rear hatch and tail gate off that? It should fit better and be easier than cutting up your old fiberglass hatch.
That's how I'm doing mine. My hatch is too far gone to save.

·
Registered
321 Posts
StandardByker88 said:
well the fiberglass is only the inner side. and looking at the gas struts, they are connected right above where it would be the gap of the two so thats not a prob either. just need to cut it and put a tailgate.
You'll need to change your struts, since they will not have the same weight on them after it's cut. More than likely you will need to swap for lighter ones.

R

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maybe, but wouldnt it be cool to pop it and it flys up? lol. well now that i got the key for the lock on it im in no hurry of doing this. and the 70s stuff has different body lines doesnt it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts