Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would throw this one at you guys before i take her in to my mechanic. Problem is my 89 Ramcharger is getting quite hot when i drive her for long periods of time, especially going up big hills. Now i have replaced the thermostat, changed the fluid, had the rad flushed and cleaned and recently put on a dual fan setup but still with no luck am getting really hot. Sometimes even after i climb a large hill i need to pull over and let her cool down. Now i am running 38" tires with 4.56 gears with my little 318, but this problem just started a few weeks ago. I have been driving with 38's like this for the past couple years and had no problems. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts in this matter. Thanks in advance Dave ;D

G

·
cleandust said:
Thought i would throw this one at you guys before i take her in to my mechanic. Problem is my 89 Ramcharger is getting quite hot when i drive her for long periods of time, especially going up big hills. Now i have replaced the thermostat, changed the fluid, had the rad flushed and cleaned and recently put on a dual fan setup but still with no luck am getting really hot. Sometimes even after i climb a large hill i need to pull over and let her cool down. Now i am running 38" tires with 4.56 gears with my little 318, but this problem just started a few weeks ago. I have been driving with 38's like this for the past couple years and had no problems. Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts in this matter. Thanks in advance Dave ;D
Well the only thing that i ould think of outside is the obvious of the watepump maybe dying or do you still have the factory fan because as it was explained to me , sometimes the electric fans are counterproductive to cooling if the factory fan is still being used. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My RC was heating because of a loose heater hose - I noticed a little bit of coolant on top of my timing cover - tightened it up and no more problem! Timing being off can cause heating as well - so can a clogged cat converter (you have probably ditched that already though... - also - those electric fan setups are thermostat controlled right? Are you sure they are coming on? - my uncle puts a dollar on the front of the radiator while it is running (or condenser if you have A/C - if it holds the dolar there you are getting anough air - if not you have a problem with air-flow.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i did have the water pump replaced as i did figure it might have gone bad, but that too did not solve the problem. The Dual electric fans are thermostat controlled but they do come on at whatever temperature i set it to. I think the next move might be to check the timing but would the timing being out just a little cause it to heat up like that? Thanks for your input guys. Dave ;D

·
Registered
83 Posts
If your timing is too retarded :p it is fighting itself to run and it will get hot - if your timing is too high {smoke}, it will have lots of power, but it will get hot as hell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts