Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
78 RC with a 360, it sat for a few years and the end of last year I started throwing $ to start driving it again. Bought a new 600 cfm Summit Racing street strip carb. I was having issues with not getting enough fuel to the carb so I bought a new fuel pump and it seemed to be ok for a week then it died one day. I got it going again and pulled off the pump and installed a new electric carb fuel pump (4 psi) max was still having issues. I dropped the tank and saw the line at the top of the tank was split and sucking in air. Fixed that and it seems to be ok. I still have the electric pump on and now it idles fine parked about 800-900 rpm but when I put it in gear ithe rpm drops low and sometimes dies. What could be causing this to happen? Does the electric fuel pump not supply enough fuel? Before I put the electric pump on and fixed the line on the tank it seemed to idle better, when it wouldnt run out of fuel. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
What is your fuel pressure?
Where is your timing currently set?
How much transmission fluid you have in neutral, trans warm?
Do you have a tach or just a wild guess? (why is idle set so high?)
Vacuum reading?
Havent checked the fuel pressure yet.
Timing is stock
Tranny fluid ok, the idle seem better when it is warm but still not right
I have a tach in the cab, and I have a Snap-on timing light with a digital display that shows the rpm. The idle is set high so it doesnt die when it's in gear.

When I put the new carb on and adjusted the idle mixture screws I was gettin between 14-15in of vaccum

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
fuel filter filtering the sludge from the old gas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think your carb adjustment might be off as well as possibly the timing or you have a vaccuum leak somewhere because on a stock engine in good condition the vacuum guage reading should be between 17-19 at idle and steady should not jump around or slowly rise and fall .I would check for vacuum leaks first then recheck the timing and then retune your carbs idle mixture circuit and try to hit the 17 - 19 inhg mark on the vacuum guage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that I have the fuel line issue fixed I thought I would try and put the mechanical pump back on since it is new and is seemed to fix the problem. Maybe the elec. pump wasnt enough for it?

When I checked the vaccum I didnt have a good test gauge I used a Autometer boost/Vac so it might not have been the most accurate. But the RC seems better, I start work tomorrow and I will drive the RC and see how it does around town.

·
Registered
29,359 Posts
a carb needs 5 to 7 PSI / at 4 psi your on the LOW side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts