Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It turns over so it's not the altenator or battery, they do their parts. You can even hear the fuel pump engaging. But the engine won't even attempt running unless I have my foot on the gas. I just changed the oil, has oil. Fluids are all fine. I have to pump the gas and then it will rev and run but it cuts out. After six tries yesterday I finally got it to run for a minute flat so I threw it in reverse and went and once it was out on the road running it ran fine. Everytime after that when I started it, ran fine.

Today I go out, same thing. Granted, it's been slightly colder out in the mornings. Today was rainy. So my father assumed something got wet and that was why, but yesterday it was dry out. I tried over 20 times today and it wouldn't even stay running long enough to get it in reverse to go. Come back 4 hours later, tried 5 times and finally got it long enough to throw it in reverse and it went. Then ran fine after and started right up both times I tried from then on out.

However, I did notice, I have very - very potent exhaust. Not like rotten eggs or anything, a normal exhaust smell just very strong. I guess its running very rich but I don't know what that means. ???

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel injected, it's an 88 with a 318.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
seems like map sensor or temp sensor .fuel pressure regulator can be the problem if its flooding,but not knowing the condition of plugs,wires ,cap and rotor-the possibilities could be endless.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i just thought of something, i had an 85 monte carlo ss and i remember having the same problem. it was very hard to start, then very choppy with lots of smoke out the back, and i had to keep on the gas to keep it running. but mine didn't even go fine after that. while driving it kept surging then bogging real bad, lots of smoke out the back and stuff. as it got worse (over a week) it started stalling almost constantly while driving. i had no idea what was up. but it turns out it just needed a tune up. it was a carb so not perfect, but much better after that.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wires, cap, and plugs are all less than a year old. Yesterday it started on the second try but I had to take it for a spin around the block before it would sit and idle correctly, without cutting out. Today it started on the second try and sat and idled fine without me having to take it for a quick drive. Maybe something just passing through the system?

·
7,995 Posts
Christy, try putting a can of "Heet" or any gas line dryer in the gas tank to remove water and maybe change the fuel filter. Maybe you have some water in the gas?
www.goldeagle.com/heet

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try the heet, but the fuel filter is fairly new too, less than a year old. Fuel pump is brand new as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might want to check the fuel filter again anyways they are cheap and if you sucked up some junk from the tank it can hamper everything. Had a Tahoe do that... ran fine but no passing power..turned out the fuel filter wouldnt flow right so it starved of fuel and bogged down. Oh how is the air filter?
Rich
Smithville NJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
something else I just thought of get some air intake cleaner and spray the throttle body down really good.. done that to a few cars lately and they are running, starting, and performing much better. It is pretty much the same as carb cleaner if not the same under a different name.
Rich

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I think it's just going to be this way for the winter. The whole "Old and Cold" mixture is taking its toll. Ramwild - be sure to check out the NJ chapter. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts