Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got 85 ramcharger put 4 '' lift lit on from roughcountry then put a 3 '' lift on that i made the shackle flip and fomt hanger , so i got about 7 - 8 '' lift and the 35 bfg mt are still rubing when i rock climb so i dont want to cut fornt fender that all that rubs so i gona put 2 '' body i think ,

should i just get the one from JCW or just build it out of pip ?
some one that has did this tell me what i need to do plz
thanks nathan

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
it's up to you. I made a body lift using flat boat rollers 3" diam that I cut down to the lenght I wanted for the lift. Cost me around 40 bucks total including bolts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking as much rock climing as i do the jcw kit might brake cuz there plastic , im thinking pipe might be stronger but dont know if its to strong what yaw think ?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
you don't want to use anythign harder than nylon...pipe would punch thru the floor

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
While on the topic of body lifts......What all has to be changed for a 2-inch kit? Tranny linkages, gas filler tubes, etc? Or can a person just lfit up the body, slap in some spacers, and be stylin'? Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
It should come with a spacer for the shift linkage for the tranny. You'll need to extend the front steering shaft some. I've done 2 body lifts so far and didn't need to change the gas tank filler tube at all so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I built a 3"lift with lengths of 2"ID electrical conduit. I welded caps on the ends and drilled through the centerfor the bolts. this gives the bolt more support and makes it way sturdier than pipe.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The problem maybe that you have rims with an incorrect offset. A two or three inch body lift can help make some clearance.

You might also consider installing bigger bump stops to prevent the axles from travelling up too far to cause the tires to hit the fenders, while still providing axle articulation.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I put a 3" body lift on mine, and did not have to do anything except lower the rad (bolt holes were already there) and re-adjust the shift linkage. I didn't have to extend it or anything. I also didn't have to extend the steering shaft, but it was real close to needing that. Filler tube was fine.

AND when you do it, don't forget, the rad moves up with the body...don't forget the trans cooling lines don't...I did, and kinda messed them up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I put a 3" from dick cepek on my rc only thing I had to mod was the shift linkage w/suplied spacer,I also have 4"skyjacker susp. lift.what size rims are you runnin I got 15x8s w/35x12.50x15 T/As I air em down as low as 12 psi without loosin the bead.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh yea I forgot I did have to drop the rad too cuz my hoses & tranie line,fan was not a problem aint got know shroud on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might also consider installing bigger bump stops to prevent the axles from travelling up too far to cause the tires to hit the fenders, while still providing axle articulation.

Ed
cant do the stops i do rock climbing and need that flex
i think the 2 or 3 '' body will get me up out of tires its rubing right on the corner of fender

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
I put a performace accessories 3 " lift on my 85 and only had to extend the shifter link It was about 1" to short after the lift and cut the fan shroud in about 1/2 and installed the top part. Never thought about lowering the radiator. I like that idea will check on that. I have lots of clearence but only run 33's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i thinking about just geting the kit and dont know which way to go 2 '' or 3 '' the 3 ant but 10 more $ the qustion is , is there any more trouble in doing the 3'' compared to the 2'' ? 2 '' would prob get my tires out of fednders what yaw think ?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
not really much difference in installation issues. Most likely yer gonna have to modify the fan shroud or drop the rad and lengthen the shift linkage either way, but doing the 3" now will save you the hassle of having to go from a 2" to a 3" later on if need be.

And right now, it's only 10 bucks more. If you have to go to a 3" later on, it'll be whatever the cost of a 3" body lift is more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts