Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its not completely broke per se, it shifts fine, but what has me worried is that shuddering in park at fast idle that goes away in Neutral. I'm told its the front pump. Sounds like a brake drum being turned on a lathe.

So now I better prepare for a trans rebuild. BUT, I'm going to rebuild a '77 Police 727 as to not disable the car cause I need it for daily transportation. Question though, How hard is it to rebuild a trans? The trans BTW is in my '74 Monaco. What all is involved?

And, what is causing the front pump to fail in my current one?

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
its not that hard to do BUT you need the snap press as they call it to change the seals under the clutches / without replacing the seals yer not really rebuilding it / the pump shudder is the torque converter bushing go,ing bad in the pump/ the shudder is actually the t-verter wobbling in the pump

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
That tranny sounded fine when you were up here the other day. How'd ya trash it?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It isn't hard to do at all. If you get a good book it will make it a lot easier. just remember to be CLEAN! I made that mistake and am paying for it now as I essentially have had to redo it because of that.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it really dont act up majorly, you can just hear it making noises in park at a fast idle (probably cold), then they go away in Neutral or any other position. It shifts and holds gear fine which is why it didnt sound bad when I was up there. BUT, that noise scared me good and I thought I'd ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts