Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i was driving to work today coasting down a hill i noticed my low oil pressure light came on and almost immediately after the oil pressure needle went from about 3/4 to zero in about 5 seconds.  So i immediately pulled over and shut the truck off tell i could get my brother to tow me home.  I pulled the oil pressure sending unit and hooked up my mechanical gauge to see if it was the sending unit, however, still nothing.  SO i then pulled the gauge off the end of the tube and no oil even came out when i would crank the engine. 

I am having a feeling that my oil pump has come dislodged and no longer is sealing with the bottom of the block or something but i have no idea where to begin.  Replacing the oil pump seems like a daunting task and i dont want to do it if thats not even the problem.

I just recently changed the oil with 10w-40 and the old oil was golden brown with no impurities in the oil or the old filter so i dont think anything would be clogged in any of the journals or anything but i have no idea.

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. 

Thanks for taking the time to read/help me with this, its my daily and i need it to get to work everyday so id like to resolve this asap.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
I would mark the distributor and rotor position and then pull the distributor, then you can check the cam gear and oil drive shaft. Here is a nice video for you.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Only a few options- most of which would be noisy when it happened:
1. lifter came out of bore- not likely with roller lifters and the spider
2. clogged oil pump pickup, or cracked/broke- most likely clogged
3. clogged oil pump relief valve- not likely
4. vandal drained oil

bottom line is you gotta drop the pan to check things out.  its pretty easy, just messy

·
Registered
798 Posts
jerseybud said:
Only a few options- most of which would be noisy when it happened:
1. lifter came out of bore- not likely with roller lifters and the spider
2. clogged oil pump pickup, or cracked/broke- most likely clogged
3. clogged oil pump relief valve- not likely
4. vandal drained oil

bottom line is you gotta drop the pan to check things out. its pretty easy, just messy
Its nice that you can just pull the pan on these small blocks, atleast you could on my 86 ram 4x4 ram.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, i pulled the oil pan off and found some bad news...

I also took the oil pump off and found the drive shaft had broken off in the oil pump, and i stuck my finger in the shaft hole on the other end of the broken shaft and the bushings were all destroyed. Then i found a large amount of bearing shavings in my oil pan, enough to cause me to not feel comfortable with driving it in this condition so i think im going to try to find a new motor preferably just a new crate motor since i would like to stop dealing with old engine maintenance.

If anyone has any good places for crate motors id like to check them out.  Im just looking for another small block, 360 preferably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.