Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1981 - 2000 of 2042 Posts

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,702 Posts

·
Registered
52,847 Posts
Well CA is like Canadia it's not part of the us............. :ROFLMAO:

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,702 Posts
We lost Pat Goss. I started watching him in the early 80's. RIP Pat.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
I've learned more on youtube than I ever learned in autoshop. lol
We had a good "auto rod" shop and teacher. Guy ran with the local car folks. Saw him and his car at many a show back in the day. I knew him from that, and his daughter was in my class.

·
Registered
52,847 Posts
I learned more though this site and doing it myself than I did off youtube. I trust the guys on here more than a youtubers!

·
6,702 Posts
Auto shop was a blast. My high school was huge with 4 stories with a separate fairy tech building and is the oldest school in Western Canada built in 1876. They filmed the movie "The Glitterdome" with James Garner in '84 at our school. Our auto shop had 7 bays and 5 hoists and my teacher was a major Chrysler lover. He owned a mint '79 Ramcharger SE two tone brown that he bought new and later put a 440 in and his son had a red '71 Road Runner that said B-Beep on the plates. Shop was so much fun with all of our muscle cars back then. We were allowed to work on our own personal cars during class. We used to do so many burnouts it was nuts and we never got in trouble for it. So many stories from having a snowball fight in the hallways in June (Zamboni ice from the near by hockey arena) to guys pulling off your throttle return spring in your car or crossing the spark plug leeds. Ahhh, the old days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
Auto shop was a blast. My high school was huge with 4 stories with a separate fairy tech building and is the oldest school in Western Canada built in 1876. They filmed the movie "The Glitterdome" with James Garner in '84 at our school. Our auto shop had 7 bays and 5 hoists and my teacher was a major Chrysler lover. He owned a mint '79 Ramcharger SE two tone brown that he bought new and later put a 440 in and his son had a red '71 Road Runner that said B-Beep on the plates. Shop was so much fun with all of our muscle cars back then. We were allowed to work on our own personal cars during class. We used to do so many burnouts it was nuts and we never got in trouble for it. So many stories from having a snowball fight in the hallways in June (Zamboni ice from the near by hockey arena) to guys pulling off your throttle return spring in your car or crossing the spark plug leeds. Ahhh, the old days.
It was very much like that, though not as large, more rural. Big separate pole barn type building up a long driveway away from the rest of the school. Instructor was often absent, so it could get rowdy up there. They worked on their cars, instructor's car, just random people's cars for cheap. They had a good time.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I started with the Small Gas Engines class in my Sophomore year.. Then took 2 more years of Auto Shop 1 & 2 in my Junior and Senior years.
I learned what the names of tools were in the Small Engines class. And learning engine basics. We started them. Disassembled them. Put them back together and made sure they ran again.
Learned a lot there.
Auto shop was just a lot of fun. But it was kind of like punctuation and grammar in grade school. I listened, but it didn't really sink in until I needed to really apply it later.
Yes to the hands on experience.
I remember the last time I had anyone work on my truck. And I swore I could do it better than they did. With the help of an older friend, who was a very knowledgeable guy, I learned to work on things myself.

·
Registered
52,847 Posts
I still do most of the work that needs done on our trucks but sometimes I'm just like................ The heck with it I don't want to deal with it send it to the shop!

Reactions: BearGills

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
I still do most of the work that needs done on our trucks but sometimes I'm just like................ The heck with it I don't want to deal with it send it to the shop!
I've been trying that, but haven't found a good shop. They all like the truck, but keep it for months at a time. It's been at the latest place over 2 months at this point.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I've been trying that, but haven't found a good shop. They all like the truck, but keep it for months at a time. It's been at the latest place over 2 months at this point.
Forget that nonsense.
I'd rather fumble through things and do it the way I want it done. Working to MY schedule, not someone else's.
Even after the guy I have do my air conditioning work on my house is done... I go behind him and fix his routing of things just to make sure it's done cleaner and mounted better.
Pretty much everybody just wants to blow and go things.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I learned more though this site and doing it myself than I did off youtube. I trust the guys on here more than a youtubers!
For the Dodge trucks, yes, I will agree because there is not much info on YouTube for the dodge trucks. But for all my newer cars I have to go to YT. Then go thru a bunch of different videos to find out the right way. The same for doing construction, electrical, plumbing, building a custom bathroom shower from scratch, etc.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have a great shop next to me that I use. A little pricey, but they are fast and good. I need to take my rig in to get it tuned for the summer.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
Forget that nonsense.
I'd rather fumble through things and do it the way I want it done. Working to MY schedule, not someone else's.
Even after the guy I have do my air conditioning work on my house is done... I go behind him and fix his routing of things just to make sure it's done cleaner and mounted better.
Pretty much everybody just wants to blow and go things.
If I had a good place I could slowly (because I don't know what I'm doing) work on it, and the time... yeah. I figured mechanics would be rare, but this is becoming laughable.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
345 Posts
Which reminds me, there's a shop for rent in town. I don't know the legality of it, but I bet I'm not the only person who would enjoy a nice place to work on my truck. Auto club? Hmm.

·
Registered
52,847 Posts
I have a great guy. He pulled out his 10K$ snap-on diagnostic PC to figure out why my wife's 2000 wasn't charging. Solved it in 3 hrs and never charged me a thing. He said merry Christmas.
He fixed the head light problem on my 93 it was a bad ground under the dash OH and the horn worked after also. He also fixed the O/D with that ground and a new O/D solenoid while it was in for inspection. After he fixed the head gasket it was idling way to slow. I stopped in and explained, he took the time to fix it on the spot.
Awesome guy very knowledgeable in all brands not just dodge or cummins.

Diesel works in MtJoy PA. Sean Kopp. Diesel Works LLC

·
Super Moderator
2,012 Posts
When I decided I needed to learn how to swing a wrench instead of pay somebody to do so badly, I bought a car to practice on. Same general make model as my driver. The only real problem with that is that I still have both of them and it's 30 yrs later.

Forget that nonsense.
In my shop listening to my toons.

Spent my life adding skills and tools. Only just started to weld and I'm going to start leveraging body shops a lot differently. I do recall one time one of the fleet broke something. Had it towed home, took a month before I even looked at it. Also did that went I broke my basket case plow - it was running well enough to stuff in it a snow drift and deal with it in spring.

Ramblings of The Retired and High. My new u-tube channel name.

·
Super Moderator
2,012 Posts
Which reminds me, there's a shop for rent in town. I don't know the legality of it, but I bet I'm not the only person who would enjoy a nice place to work on my truck. Auto club? Hmm.
Uncle Tonys Garage kinda operates on that model. Modified in that the overhead is offset by the internet revenue and swag shop. I think the real key is getting the right group of guys so it doesn't go sideways and leave somebody holding the bag.

1981 - 2000 of 2042 Posts