Dodge RamCharger Central banner
9041 - 9060 of 9281 Posts

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
It's like a rotary engine
A wankle?

I think you mean radial. That is more similar , but these did not have those massive cylinders of the radials, so not as much of a pop sound. Each engine is only 250 Ci. Close in specs to the slant 6.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,400 Posts
Lol, yes a radial. That's the word I was thinking. It's like a mini radial engine.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,400 Posts
Here's a cool 10 min video on our racing hall of fame. It's gone now.

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have no idea.

I do know it did not use this mopar engine.
I came across something connected to Chrysler building Shermans where they decided to use up the warehouse full of completed engines because they could and because Chrysler.

We totally finished the back yard today. What a major pain. The project started last August. And with all the stupid delays because of material shortages... it's finally done...
It's cool and all but where's the back yard?

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
I came across something connected to Chrysler building Shermans where they decided to use up the warehouse full of completed engines because they could and because Chrysler.
I always took it as Chrysler did not readily have capabilities to make Big V8s or 10s at the time, and still needed to keep up the flathead production for the trucks they were building for the war. So this was a great compromise. I think it was a great idea. They could keep pumping out the flat head six's, make a bunch of the main blocks that hold the engines, and did not have to close down to retool for a big tank engine.

Also, I think each of the five engines was a complete engine in it self, so they could be dropped into a weapons carrier, or other trucks Chrysler made, making repairs and logistics in country easier. Another neat thing is the engine could still run with several of the engine banks not running. That redundancy was nice, 5 engines, 5 carbs, 5 water pumps (on most), 5 ignition systems, ect.

Pretty much it was only the tanks made for the lend lease act, that got the Chrysler engines, the rest got the Ford aluminum engine. It would be interesting to know how they were produced, 1000 for the lend lease, then 1000 for the US, and 1000 for the lend lease, or all 8000 for the lend lease, then the one for the US. I am still wondering how the logistics between all the US factories was handled so well.

Would be interesting to know how much ageing was actually done on blocks, or for that matter how much still is. I keep reading that many machine tool makers aged the castings for a few years before milling. With the numbers they made during the war, I doubt they stuck to that. Yet you do not hear of anyone saying that machines made during the war were inferior in any way, except for the war time finish they mandated. That could explain warehouses full of blocks, and why retooling and making new castings would have taken longer (time needed to age the new blocks).

· Registered
8,724 Posts

It's cool and all but where's the back yard?
When we built our house in '79, we designed the house to set deep in the lot and off to one side. This allowed us to have a big side yard. It was planned that way in case we wanted to put a pool in. I'm so thankful every time the pool conversation came up, I shot it down. Pools are a pain.
This allowed me to add another two car garage along with our original two car garage.
Who was the smart cookie 44 years ago? ☺

· Super Moderator
8,400 Posts
You must be the only guy in Cali that doesn't have a pool! 😂

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
When we built our house in '79, we designed the house to set deep in the lot and off to one side. This allowed us to have a big side yard. It was planned that way in case we wanted to put a pool in. I'm so thankful every time the pool conversation came up, I shot it down. Pools are a pain.
This allowed me to add another two car garage along with our original two car garage.
Who was the smart cookie 44 years ago? ☺
I bought my place in 97, it was built in 89 on a L shaped 4.5 acre lot. Mostly to create another 2 acre lot and would have been nice to score the whole tract. Where to put the sand mound septic systems also in play. At any rate, I've got an unused acre or so that's about 165 x 330 feet. Had to brush hog it, not exactly lawn to this day, wanted to put in evergreen privacy fence behind neighbor but ya know, priorities. One plan was my own private stash of parts vehicles because a couple decades back stuff was cheap. Other plan was monster concrete go cart track in part because I knew a concrete guy at the time. Truth be told I could have done both if I lined up the donors between the fence and the back stretch!

Neighbors have an in ground pool. Think I see the pool company there almost as much as I see them use it.

Property Map Natural environment Land lot World

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I always took it as Chrysler did not readily have capabilities to make Big V8s or 10s at the time, and still needed to keep up the flathead production for the trucks they were building for the war. So this was a great compromise. I think it was a great idea. They could keep pumping out the flat head six's, make a bunch of the main blocks that hold the engines, and did not have to close down to retool for a big tank engine.
A57 Mulitbank:
Chrysler A57 Multibank Tank Engine

Kinda explains multi hemi tractor pull drive trains.

They also developed this aircraft engine:

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Yep, see the multibank went from discussion to rolling off the assembly line in 9 months. That aircraft engine went from design to testing completion in 4 to 5 years. How much longer would it have taken to get it into production? That shows the valid thought in adopting the existing engines.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Here is the other similar design I was thinking of. Note how simple the crank case is.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Holly crap. talk about a restoration project.

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

· Registered
8,724 Posts
You must be the only guy in Cali that doesn't have a pool! 😂
The only smart one. ;D
There's probably 50 pools in my neighborhood. And all the people that have them say they wish they didn't have one.
Water's too hot in the summer. Too cold in the winter. No thanks.

· Registered
8,724 Posts
Speaking of pools......mine is leaking again. Big water drop the day before Thanksgiving, still dropping.

Last leak was 2019.

But pool leaks beat fighting Cancer or Covid, which is all most of the world has done since 2020.

Bucky
Yup.
Like my dad told me... Quit your complaining. There's always people who are worse off than you. :LOL:
Thanks dad.

· Registered
8,724 Posts
Holly crap. talk about a restoration project.

It's amazing. For all the Sherman's produced during the war... there's only a few left.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Like much of the other WWII stuff, especially aircraft, they were not built with decades of service or storage in mind. Corrosion is the big killer. So much of that stuff was sent over, and not brought back, so the Europeans get all the fun of building and playing with all that fun stuff.

But on the other hand, I have a multimeter from WWII, that has the electronics coated with a varnish/ fungicide, it looks like the day it was built.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Needs the dually rear axle.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle

Reactions: Lzed

· Super Moderator
8,400 Posts
Wow, those are some serious people movers

9041 - 9060 of 9281 Posts