Dodge RamCharger Central banner
8961 - 8980 of 9281 Posts

· Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Being somewhat anti social in real life, I never felt the need to get on social media. Being about 15 when the TRS-80 and Apple II where leading edge personal computing, I spent a lot of years being annoyed by "frivolous" applications. NASA put a man on the moon with a lot less computing power than yer typical 286 based box at the height of the revolution and like that.

When I had to settle my mothers estate, I needed to track down some long lost relatives and facebook turned out to be easy way. Imply what you want about personal privacy. I ended up hanging around for market place and have made some killer scores. On the flip side, if I see one more "how do I fix my wipers" post, I may scream.

As far as big brother, data mining and other conspiracy theories: screw em. If yer dumb enough to put it on the internet AND expect to be able exercise some level of control over it, you've failed. Cleaning up your digital foot print is good, not leaving prints is better.

· Registered
3,229 Posts
Facebook made the claim that they can track anyone, even those that do not use the internet. People post pictures, and then list below who is in them. After so many, they can figure out who is who, and their relationship to those that posted the pics.

And of course you know they scan all the rest of the internet, including here.

Then people go on these family tree sites, and give their DNA, and find their ancestors, and link them for the web bots to gobble up.

Nothing you and I can do that will change it. Unless we fight to get laws changed. But then I would bet they do not dump their data.
I went to a wrecking yard and bought a part for my truck with a debit card. I went home and that part started showing up in my FB feeds and news feeds.

· Registered
3,229 Posts
We need to remember that the laws and policies that affect us the most, are the local ones. Everybody gets all bent over the federal elections, but look what little shit they get done.
Yeah, local politicians have done a number on WA. Lets hope that (GOP) contractor in CO removes that democrat incumbent there. (read about that this morning)

· Registered
3,229 Posts
True, every generation IS getting worse (especially when you look back) but what or where is the braking point and what do we do? Do we just stick our heads in the sand and say "oh well, what can we do about anyway" or do we stop participating?
People worry about leaving a better planet for our kids but don't think about leaving better kids for our planet. *Tom McDonald

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,400 Posts
Sittin' on the dock of the day just watching time go by.....

Attachments

· Registered
8,724 Posts
My Mustang. The frame is more boring looking compared to the Schwinn but it was all about that shifter on the top tube!! Lol
Picture circa 1975
Dang. That bike is too big for you. ;D

· Registered
8,724 Posts
Looks like it. I just recently joined because of a page from an old military unit. I do not get the attraction, it is like one thread with many conversations going on.
Confusion reigns.
I'm there... but not much.
There's a couple of propriety things I like... Jangle Pop is one of them.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Yeah, local politicians have done a number on WA. Lets hope that (GOP) contractor in CO removes that democrat incumbent there. (read about that this morning)
Yea, we are one of those states where the one main metropoitan area thinks they are the only part of the state that matters. We would be happy if everything west of the continental divide succeeded from the east side.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,400 Posts
Yea, we are one of those states where the one main metropoitan area thinks they are the only part of the state that matters. We would be happy if everything west of the continental divide succeeded from the east side.
There has been lots of talk about British Columbia, Alberta, Washington state, Oregon, Idaho and I think Montana all breaking away from the other province's and states and creating a new country with currency. I thought it was a joke but it was a legitimate proposal.

· Registered
3,229 Posts
There has been lots of talk about British Columbia, Alberta, Washington state, Oregon, Idaho and I think Montana all breaking away from the other province's and states and creating a new country with currency. I thought it was a joke but it was a legitimate proposal.
Oregons eastern counties are making a run for Idaho. If they succeed in seceding, I'm sure eastern WA will want to join as well.

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Cleaning up your digital foot print is good, not leaving prints is better.
You can never clean it, just block it from public view. Not leaving it? Yea right. Even before computers, many companies were trading data.

· Super Moderator
8,400 Posts
You can never clean it, just block it from public view. Not leaving it? Yea right. Even before computers, many companies were trading data.
Ya block it from public view but not from the governments or the algorithms designer's view. Remember keypunch cards? My mom used to be a keypunch operator at the University here back in the 70's.

Attachments

· Administrator
31,900 Posts
Ya block it from public view but not from the governments or the algorithms designer's view. Remember keypunch cards? My mom used to be a keypunch operator at the University here back in the 70's.
Gosh, I hated those cards. Thats how I learned programming. Each card was one line of code. Then the data was next with one card for each. You punched them all out, rubber banded them together, and submitted them to the computer room, then waited for them to run it through. If you were lucky, it all ran and you got the results you wanted. Other wise you got a ton of pages printed out listing the errors, and you had fun working it out to run it again. No way I was going to do that the rest of my life, so I switched to business administration, which was also a joke, so I switched to engineering.

8961 - 8980 of 9281 Posts