Dodge RamCharger Central banner
7561 - 7580 of 7622 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Panda, what is it about your climate that makes you unable to grow jalapenos or other hot peppers?

I live in Iowa and they grow them in places over here far to the north of me with no problems. Places like Minnesota or Michigan or the Dakotas. Usually they have to be started indoor from seed given the shorter growing season. Even here, I start my seeds in March and don't transplant the seedlings until early to mid May. I start getting useable fruit in late July or early August.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I grow Jalapenos, no problem with that :) I plant seedlings just like you in May, but it takes much longer for them to be ready to eat. Now we have September and most of them are still on bushes. Maybe I'll start from greenhouse next year so they get higher temps.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Plant Groundcover Vegetable Grass Flowering plant

Here's how far they are now.
Advice from more experienced gardeners will be more than welcome.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd call myself an experienced gardener. :)

They obviously turn red when ripe, but can be eaten while green as well. Most of mine get picked green. You look like you have quite a few there.

Plant more of them next year. If you aren't getting a whole lot from the plants you have, more plants might be necessary. Or try raised beds. The soil will stay warmer in a raised bed and result in better and bigger plants.

Another thing I do, for pretty much my whole garden, is I do not overwater in the spring and early summer. Give them a regular amount but just enough to keep them alive. This will spur root growth, looking for water. If you give them too much, then they never establish a large root system and the plant will never be as fruitful or robust. Later, when they are bearing fruit, give them more water to help grow and ripen.

I fertilize at least twice per season also. It definitely helps.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I should have nabbed a picture, but this morning I picked almost a 5 gallon bucket full of poblanos, jalapenos, chilis, and sirachas.

I make salsa mostly. The wife makes red hot sauce sometimes. Planning on using this batch of jalapenos for stuffing with homemade goat cheese and wrapping in bacon.
I could eat bacon wrapped jalapenos every day. Yummmm

·
Registered
22,064 Posts
Advice from more experienced gardeners will be more than welcome.
Poland is at about the same latitude as southern Canada, Panda, so I'd say grow the earlier varieties or use a greenhouse to keep the temperatures up and/or extend the season. Perhaps placing them next to a south-facing wall to utilize reflected heat might help also. Peppers do best in the 75 to 90-degree Fahrenheit range. :)

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
south wall works well , start in greenhouse or "coldframes" do not put out too early cover on cool nights or you'll have nice plants with little fruit

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
711 Posts
All your advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

I have pretty good experience when it comes to decoration plants but vegetables seems to be a totally different story and it was always my wife's job. They require more attention and a know how. I did it by the same procedure I used for other plants, you water them, fertilise twice per year and water again when needed. But I'm not getting crops I expect.

I like the raised beds idea and planting peppers next to S facing wall which unfortunately I don't have because vegetable garden is far from home ;)
I think greenhouse will have to do the job instead. Do you keep peppers in GH all summer with open doors or take them out?

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
My friend, who is a drywall finisher like me, and also a Vietnam vet and quite the character... knew I liked chile peppers. So one day he said he was going to bring over a pepper plant for me. He called me three days later and asked if I got the plant that he brought over. I said I didn't know he did that. He said he put it in some aluminum foil next to the gate in my courtyard. I went to get it and was thinking it had to be dead sitting out there in the heat of summer for 3 days. He should it'll be fine and just plant it. I should've known better.
Within a couple weeks the things producing all kinds a little red peppers. So one day for lunch I had a tuna sandwich. I thought I'd try a pepper. Boy, what a mistake that was! It was one of the hottest things I think I have ate in my entire life. I washed my hands thoroughly after that... I thought.
After lunch, I went outside and started sweating from the outside temperature... thankfully not from any more of those peppers. I wiped my forehead, and evidently my fingers still had some residual oils from those peppers on them. My eyes started burning, turned red and started watering like crazy. It was insane!
He called me soon after and asked if I tried those peppers yet. I said you corn dog! You almost killed me! He just died laughing and thought it was the funniest thing. They were were Red Savina Habanero Peppers... way up there on the Scoville chart that measures the hotness of peppers.
I told my Hispanic neighbor down the street about it. He said he'd love to have the plant. That dumb plant grew about 4 foot tall within a month. Now it's a tree.
I thought I killed it originally. Should've known better.
I'm just glad I didn't have to pee.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My friend, who is a drywall finisher like me, and also a Vietnam vet and quite the character... knew I liked chile peppers. So one day he said he was going to bring over a pepper plant for me. He called me three days later and asked if I got the plant that he brought over. I said I didn't know he did that. He said he put it in some aluminum foil next to the gate in my courtyard. I went to get it and was thinking it had to be dead sitting out there in the heat of summer for 3 days. He should it'll be fine and just plant it. I should've known better.
Within a couple weeks the things producing all kinds a little red peppers. So one day for lunch I had a tuna sandwich. I thought I'd try a pepper. Boy, what a mistake that was! It was one of the hottest things I think I have ate in my entire life. I washed my hands thoroughly after that... I thought.
After lunch, I went outside and started sweating from the outside temperature... thankfully not from any more of those peppers. I wiped my forehead, and evidently my fingers still had some residual oils from those peppers on them. My eyes started burning, turned red and started watering like crazy. It was insane!
He called me soon after and asked if I tried those peppers yet. I said you corn dog! You almost killed me! He just died laughing and thought it was the funniest thing. They were were Red Savina Habanero Peppers... way up there on the Scoville chart that measures the hotness of peppers.
I told my Hispanic neighbor down the street about it. He said he'd love to have the plant. That dumb plant grew about 4 foot tall within a month. Now it's a tree.
I thought I killed it originally. Should've known better.
I'm just glad I didn't have to pee.
HAHAHAHAHA...

I went pepper picking once in Eastern WA. They schooled us right away on the need to wear gloves when handling peppers. We make a lot of Pico De Gallo and there are occasions when I accidentally touch my eyes when dicing the jalapenos. Big mistake. I couldn't imaging doing that with habanero peppers.

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
I grew habanaros as well , yes in greenhouse all summer , if the sun is burning stuff , make a thick paste / paint from hydrated lime ( white powder ) and water splash it on , by next spring it'll be mostly washed off and let the sun in for spring .

·
Registered
22,064 Posts

I have pretty good experience when it comes to decoration plants but vegetables seems to be a totally different story and it was always my wife's job. They require more attention and a know how. I did it by the same procedure I used for other plants, you water them, fertilise twice per year and water again when needed. But I'm not getting crops I expect.

I like the raised beds idea and planting peppers next to S facing wall which unfortunately I don't have because vegetable garden is far from home ;)
I think greenhouse will have to do the job instead. Do you keep peppers in GH all summer with open doors or take them out?
From the looks of your plants, Panda, it would appear they had set some now-ripening fruit earlier in the season and then not much since. That definitely could be temperature-related but otherwise they look okay. Maybe next year try planting them through black plastic but make the holes big enough for good air penetration into the soil as peppers can be susceptible to root rot. A closed-up greenhouse will get way too hot in the summer like the inside of a car so you'd have to be careful there. :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Coat News Flag of the united states Spokesperson Government agency

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
Hey, nice Panther Pink '70 T/A in the background!

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
508 Posts

I don’t think I would keep them in a greenhouse all summer. They would dry out too quickly in pots in a hot greenhouse. Plus they need room to put out roots.

I think you could start them in a greenhouse for sure though. Transplant whenever you start getting consistently hot days.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I found some old pictures of my '70 Duster 340 at the old farm house. That's me circa 1987. Lol

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Here I was 16 and with my first engine I ever built - a 302 Ford - rings, pistons, cam, intake, worked heads, etc. My dad was a Ford guy and bought me a '72 Mercury Comet for my first car so I ripped the 6 banger out and found a 302, hopped it up and dropped it in its place. Soon after this picture was taken, I sold my Comet for my black 340 Duster and have been a Mopar man since.

7561 - 7580 of 7622 Posts