Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
7361 - 7377 of 7377 Posts

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I'm pretty sure I posted somewhere here about a "Mixtape Culture Club" I'm in at the radio station I listen to online.
I have August to come up with a theme. And since Ive been posting the coolness of the Apple Pixalmater photo editor... I'll give you guys a sneak peak at what my CD cover looks like.
The first one is a somewhat before picture. I say somewhat because at this point I already worked the picture over quite a bit. This thing had watermarks all over it. They didn't want you to use it unless you paid for it. Or they didn't want you to make money off of it. And it wasn't a very clean picture when you zoomed in on it. I got rid of all the watermarks and sharpened the image a lot by this point.

This is the finished image for the actual CD cover sleeve. You'll notice I rearranged the letters to spell out SONGS instead of ORANGES.

·
Registered
238 Posts
looks great. I looked at the pictures before what you wrote and didn’t even notice the text difference. crazy how far along computers have come and with a little know how, you can make great things

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
That one is not so hard. ;)

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
That one is not so hard. ;)

View attachment 618863
Oh. A wise guy! :)
True. But you should have seen all the watermarks all across the original picture. It took me several hours to remove them.
And who knew you could get so many words out of oranges.
Also, I don't think you'll find many songs about California Garages. ;)

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Oh. A wise guy! :)
True. But you should have seen all the watermarks all across the original picture. It took me several hours to remove them.
And who knew you could get so many words out of oranges.
Also, I don't think you'll find many songs about California Garages. ;)
All true. ;)

I was impressed that you could copy the font so well, then I realized what you did. The rest I just had to do. :D

You know, just because.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Screenshot_20210721-014414_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Anybody know what make this V8 is? I find it intriguing. Aluminum block, and the heads are interesting. Note the spark plug location. Either four exhaust ports and one intake port , or vice versa. Like to see the valvetrain. Sorry about the picture quality, screen captures of a youtube video. It was being used to power a crusher at a mine in the western US. Mine shut down in the 40's.

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Interesting, my first thought from back then, would be an aircraft engine, but I do not recall a water cooled V8.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Interesting, my first thought from back then, would be an aircraft engine, but I do not recall a water cooled V8.
Think I found a match? 1915 Cadillac type 51. Looks really close anyway.

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
I looked at that one, then lost the link. I do think you found it.

By Alf van Beem - Own work, Public Domain, File:1915 Cadillac Model 51 V8 4stroke engine photo2.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Would be a cool project to restore.

The 3-main-bearings 314.5-cid V8 had a 3-1/8 x 5-1/8 in. bore and stroke.
It was a 90-degree L-head with non-detachable heads and two cast iron four-cylinder blocks on an aluminum crankcase. With a 4.25:1 compression ratio, it made 70 hp at 2400 rpm and 180 lbs.-ft. at 1800-2200 rpm.

The engine had rockers with roller cam followers, a 1.5 gallon crankcase and a 5.25-gallon cooling system. Its Johnson float feed carburetor had auxiliary air control. The water jackets and combustion chambers were integral with the blocks.
Coolant circulation and temperature control relied on an impeller pump with a thermostat for each block.
Three 1-7/8 in. bearings protected a crankshaft with four throws in one plane. The fork-and-blade connecting rods were a Leland trademark.
Rod bearings were made available in standard, .005 under and .020 under. Three rings were wrapped around the pistons and came in standard, first and second oversize.
A single camshaft with eight cams was used. A silent chain drove the camshaft and generator shaft. The generator and distributor were rear mounted since a two-cylinder power tire pump was up front.
The updraft carburetor had a water-heated intake manifold. The dual exhaust system (without balance pipe) had log-type exhaust manifolds.
Cadillac used 1-9/16-in. diameter, 5/16-in. lift flat exhaust valves flat and tulip-shaped intake valves actuated by adjustable tappets connected to rocker arms with the roller riding on cams.

Cadillac’s firing order was 1L-2R-3L-1R-4L-3R-2L-4R as viewed from the rear and each bank was numbered one through four from the front.
The valve chamber caps were stamped H, L, or LL for high or low compression ratios. A three-point suspension kept the engine smooth for the era.
The mounts were of ball-and-socket design at the front and solid at the rear.

Lubrication Challenges
On early engines, the oil relief valve was cast integral with the starter gear housing. Later, the oil relief valve was a separate unit mounted on the angular face of the crankcase.

The lubrication system was recirculating and pressure fed from a gear-type oil pump. The pump drew in oil from the crankcase and forced it through a header pipe running inside the crankcase.
Leads ran from this header pipe to the main bearings and then through drilled holes in the crankshaft to the connecting rod bearings.

7361 - 7377 of 7377 Posts