Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!. First I'd like to say that I have asked around around for help and everyone points me here. So I hope someone can help me out here.

Anyway i recently purchased an 85 5.2L and I'm having some trouble here that I can't pinpoint. At points it seems the vehicle decides not to start. The dials all turn up and the lights( or rather the one light, the brake light) come on but the starter does not turn. I have recently replaced the alternator the voltage regulator, distributor cap, spark plugs and fuel filter. I broke out my multimeter and checked the battery and all checked out ok. I tried a jump start but that was a no go. To get it started i had to arc the starter and it started up just fine so im not sure its the starter. Was wondering if it could be the ignition switch? Not looking forward to a short in the wiring and having to track it down.

At the moment its not having a problem starting but like i said it seems kind of random at when it wont start and I don't want to find out i cant start it when i need it. Any ideas on what i can try and test out or try? 

·
Registered
737 Posts
Maybe neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What year?  Check for a starter relay on the driver's side fender near the firewall - sounds like yours is dying or has a bad connection.

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Possibilities:  ignition switch, starter relay, neutral safety switch, the ground wires for the relay, or any one of a number of wiring problems.  The diagrams for the '84-'85 are in the photogallery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
85 Royal SE Prospector said:
What kind of no start? Won't even try? Tries but can't catch? Tries but no fuel delivery?
Yeah like i said i turn the key and i get nothing except the dials on the dash turn up and the brake light comes on. No starter activity and no engine turning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
madurobob said:
What year? Check for a starter relay on the driver's side fender near the firewall - sounds like yours is dying or has a bad connection.
85. Ill check this out also next chance i get.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Read the sticky post at the top of this forum "Where did my electricity go" it will how you how to cheaply and easily (after a bit of practice) chase down electrical faults. 

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Welcome!  ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.