Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started the rebuild of the Ramcharger.

For those of you that dont know the story the Build and demise thread is here.

https://ramchargercentral.com/diesel-talk/hello-everyone-my-soon-to-be-ctd-ramcharger/

First order of business was to get the 92 body that I am going to use off the frame that has been sold. I dont have a lift but I do understand Hydraulics and mechanical jacks and gravity if that all goes wrong.

I disconnected all the electrical, removed the front core support and then unbolted the body mounts. Then using a HYd floor jack and wooden 4x4 blocks. I raised the body enough to use camper jacks that are used on the pickup style campers, the pucker factor getting the body high enough was pretty high once high enough I inserted a 2x6 under the body to use the camper jacks. I then also took off the back tires and used a floor jack under the rear differential and just rolled the whole assembly out from under the body.

Once the frame was out of the way I lowered the body down as low as the camper jack would let me and used the Rigid tripod stands to set everything on. The body is really clean and zero rot, just surface rust

The plan after I get rid of the 92 frame is to do the same treatment to the 90 that got rolled. Planning a few upgrades I will list them in the next couple days. at least the project is rolling or sitting how ever you want to look at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looks like its going to be a sweet build. 

Neil

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok just a small update, I got rid of the 92 frame and running gear so that is not in the way anymore. A RCC menber picked it up and plans on using the whole assembly, very glad i didnt have to cut it up.

Then I made a cradle to set the body on while I am prepping it, the swivel caster wheels will be here tomorrow.  Then I can start on prepping everything, stripping out the interior that is there.  Yes I know I am not a carpenter but it should work well for the time period I will be using it 

Nothing wrong with the stands its sitting on now but just needed to be mobile.

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Good progress!
Nice neighborhood. I'm surprised someone hasn't complained yet.
Move quickly before someone whines. ;D
My Neighbors give me a wide berth, I also try not to make it look like a total pig sty always clean up and normally cover everything

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
little bit of progress.

I fabed up some adapters to bolt to the camper jacks, basically some 18 X 6 l brackets with side supports welded on.  Then I used a 6.5' 2 X 6 steel tube to connect the jacks under the body. Next I attached the casters to the cradle.  Then fed the cradle thur the center of the supports and raised the back enough to set it on the rear posts and then lowered the jacks to set to on the front, lagged the posts to the body.

I am happy with the height as i can work on most of the body now with out having to lay on the ground.  like having the truck on my workbench. 

Learned a lot and if I ever do this again I would make things much differently, I'm still OK with how it turned out now I can move it around and my house doesn't look like the local salvage yard. 

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
This looks like a good idea for two reasons:

1. The movement idea is great.  It is nice to easily move and swing things with ease if needed. 

2. the height, having it that high may make it a lot easier on the back if you need to do any sanding, welding, and body work. 

Good work,

Neil

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jungle said:
Looks really good!! Any better pic of the jack setup?
Jim
http://www.riecotitan.com/camperjacks/standardtripod.php

These are the Jacks I used. they are supposed to be rated for 1000lbs each. I got them off Craig's list for a really good price, they do a really good job just have to take your time and go evenly but very little effort to crank. I will get you a picture soon of the bracket I built.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok small update, things slowed down the last couple weeks but still working on getting this done. 

I reconnected the battery on the RC that got rolled and with one turn the old Cummins fired right up and idled like its supposed to.  I had it on my car trailer to save space so got it off the trailer hosed it down and parked it next to the 92 body.

I started the interior removal of the 92 and got the windshield, dash, wiring harness, seats, steering column out of the way.  The reason I removed the windshield is the bolts for the dash are under the seal you can get to them but its much simplier with the windshield out of the way.

The other reason is in the corners the Dodges always leak because the design is poor and the metal cracks over time, I will be fixing this flaw.

One thing to notice is the cracks in the spot weld area on the floor pan, this is a flaw I have seen in the later series Ramchargers, Im guessing due to the metal change in the late 80’s and poor design, the cracks were horrible on the 90 to the point I just plated the whole area. This will get the same treatment   

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the list of improvements will be as follows, I have at this point in time to stay with the 46RH Non-lockup I have the 47RH cores but don’t know if the added cost and effort is really worth the LU function.

So the list,

1.  Convert to Hydro Boost.
2.  New Deaver Front springs and have them rebuild the rears.
3.    Rear spring plate flip and relocate the lower shock mount.
4.  Doubler for the NP205
5.  New Body mounts (no Lift)
6.  New 100% overhauled Cummins
7.  Rebuilt the TC for the 46RH either by Huges or TCI up in Canada, this will supposedly get the converter in the 95% efficiently range.
8.  Freshen the 46RH new seals and clutches with current upgrades.
9.  New rea bumper with winch, I am abandoning the fuel tank rear bumper design is was nice not to carry      around fuel jugs but not really worth the hassle for the 10Gal that it held.
10.  Im going to go with a different roof rack, the current one is just way too heavy and I want to try a 80/20 setup.
11.  Sound Deadener, I learned lots the last time so I should be able to really get this setup really quiet .
12.  For tire size I might just stick with the 285/70/17 (33) maybe 35” but I should really go with a wider rim if I jump to the 35” and I will have to trim the front fenders a little, don’t want to
        do that as I like having the factory rims but the are kind of narrow.
13.  Debating if I will fully box the frame.
14.  Lots of other small improvements which I will document as I go   

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I like the lock up on my gas dodges , almost like another gear .

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some good ideas and great idea taking out the windshield to fix the flaws and remove the dash.  Did the same thing in mine.  Luckily mine didn't have any metal issues around doors, floors, or window metal.  Being that you are running a cummins the lock up might be worth the investment for the sole reason of RPM's that you don't need in that beast. In addition in may be worth it being that you are already putting some hard time, work, and effort into this build.  Great work so far, looking forward to many more updates. 

Neil

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.