Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, and I'm unsure where to post exactly so I hope this is alright.

I recently bought an '84 Ramcharger, and like many others it has the cracking up near the hinges. My two thoughts were to repair the fiberglass and then find a way to reinforce the border of the window down to the support struts, has anyone done this? I was thinking a full on metal on both the inside and outside of the door, a few bolts in order to really secure it all. I'm sure someone here could refine this idea into something much more appealing to the eye, though.

My only other thought was to somehow change the rear door into a swing out door similar to FJ Cruisers. But I don't know if this could be done without drastically changing the way the body/door look from the outside.

I have already considered the tailgate/liftwindow option and the only way I'd do that is if I was forced to choose between the tailgate and no door at all. I really like the ability be up against the bumper as I'm working in the back of the truck, instead of trying to reach everything with an extra 2 feet of metal between me and my storage space.

Any and all information is helpful, thanks guys.

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
The cracking happens when the struts weaken, and people use a 2x4 on one side to hold the tailgate up.  Fix the cracks, and even some reinforcement, and replace the struts, and you will be fine.

The tailgate lift gate option, takes more then you would think. The truck tailgate, and RC body lines are different at the top of the tailgate area. Attempting to modify the top of the hatch into a lift gate, takes lots of fiberglass work, and rigging up a way to latch the lift gate. Its been done, but is not for the faint of heart.

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
You could repair the fiberglass but if the entire structure is weaken, (spider cracks everywhere) you'll be repairing it more than once. Adding steel reenforcement could work, but then the added weight would put more load on the struts and the sheet meat that supports the weight. A swing door would require new hinge points that would redirect the load onto one side of the cab and that will need to be reenforced. The tailgate option is doable, but the upper glass part will be a PIA to come up with and you'll want it, to keep out fumes and keep heat in. My option would be to just find another door.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated on the replies, thankfully it doesn't seem to be cracking all over, just 4 big ones, 1 on each side of each hinge. I'll see about getting it repaired and replace the support struts as soon as I can.

Thanks for the replies, the info is much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.