Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 88 LE Ramcharger. 318 5.2L, automatic.

I've done some work here and there, and same with the previous owner (family) I inhereted it cause it fell in a pond while plowing, so I had to do alot of work for someone just learning.

Well when I brang it to my house a few years ago we taveled highway for aboiut 8 hours. But we immediatly found problems. once hitting about 40-60 I get this jerking motion ever 30 seconds, not exactly 30 seconds between but that's avg. it only happens when on the gas pedal, and it's from 40-60 Mph. It does this jerking motion, more like a bang and it bucks like a bull once. Well I narrowed it down the past few years to the frontish of the truck. when we first saw this happen, when I got home we immediatly replaced the front u-joint on the drive shaft... but not the back one as I was told it was expensive enough to just buy a new driveshaft. well the replacement of the front u-joint didn't work. We thought it came from the tranny, but the gears seemed fine. there isn't any play in the drive shaft. Well recently my dad said it may be cause by my hubs. for one my 4wheel drive light is on and off randomly, so he figured that could of been why the light is on, the hubs "straining" and going in a and out. hubs have been put in lock and free and no change. Also I can travel about 60+ and there is NO problem with this. so that's 2 of my problems, truck jumping, and my 4wheel drive light randomly on and off for no reason.

Next is my dashboard. When I recieved it, I was told the speedometer doesn't work.. it doesn't nor does it record any miles at all. I know my problem is cause I'm missing the cable that runs from the tranny I believe to the box near the engine (sorry I'm new to this stuff) Well this problem is I tried the only cable available by dodge and the screw to the box is to big. and I have found that the cable I need is discontinued. If so is there somewhere that would have it, and if not, is there a way I can use the other cable and just change the nut to a smaller size. My dad said no cause it is probably tuned differently so it wouldn't work correctly. Well more problems I have with the dash is I don't think ANYTHING works on it. I can't tell how much fuel I have. I can't tell anything from any of the meters. The only thing that does work are the lights so far, Oil, high beams, and driver seat unbuckled lights. haven't seen any others go on.

Also I have a problem when I'm going fast and then slowing down my engine (I'm pretty sure) shakes like starts rocking, and driving I get dark clouds of smoke comming out. would a new filter help? I'm getting one this tuesday once they come in stock, but just trying to figure out all my problems.

*EDIT*- my interior lights don't go on when my driver side door is open, but it does when my hatch and pass side door are open. Also my driver side door doesn't even make a sound when I lock the door with the electric locks, my pass side makes a sound but the nob doesn't move, just makes a noise. Any idea on what I need to do to fix these?

Last for now that I can find, not a big deal is the stereo works and all but I don't know how to change the time :p and it's just annoying to have to bring my watch up to my face to see the time.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, also if you have any parts I'm looking for I may be willing to negotiate buying them. I love my Ramcharger and I REALLY don't want to get rid of it

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well for the interior lights with the drivers door try replcing the switch in the door jam.... as for the dash problems, pull the cluster and make sure your harness is hooked up properly. try your local Napa or similar parts house and see if THEY can get the cable you need. as far as the rest maybe someone else has had these problems... i hope what i have said helps.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
I just repalced the rear U-joints in my truck and they are no way near the cost of a new drive line. I think I paid about 20 dollors for the both of mine. How is the tune up in the truck? A bad spark plug wires..cap or rotor could cause this also how are the srpings and bushings and the shocks??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harnesses are plugged in, everythings snug in the back of the cluster. The rear u-joint is different though right? Well I'll look for a rear u-joint. New shocks, haven't done a tune up from a store yet, just do the things in my repair manual. I haven't checked anything else you listed thought, I'll do that tomorrow and see how that goes, wires aren't to hard to purchase I don't think. Thank you both.

·
Registered
88 Posts
YOu say this thing fell into a pond, How Deep was the water? Possibly have a problem with excessive corrosion due to moisture from being submerged. As far as the engine goes check the basics first, cap rotor, fuel filter, timming, air filter, plugs and wires and maybe even the fuel pressure.

·
7,995 Posts
Next is my dashboard. When I recieved it, I was told the speedometer doesn't work.. it doesn't nor does it record any miles at all. I know my problem is cause I'm missing the cable that runs from the tranny I believe to the box near the engine (sorry I'm new to this stuff) Well this problem is I tried the only cable available by dodge and the screw to the box is to big. and I have found that the cable I need is discontinued. If so is there somewhere that would have it, and if not, is there a way I can use the other cable and just change the nut to a smaller size. My dad said no cause it is probably tuned differently so it wouldn't work correctly. Well more problems I have with the dash is I don't think ANYTHING works on it. I can't tell how much fuel I have. I can't tell anything from any of the meters. The only thing that does work are the lights so far, Oil, high beams, and driver seat unbuckled lights. haven't seen any others go on.
Let me start to help you with the speedometer cable. You say that the cable goes from the transfer case to a box near the engine. Could this box be your cruise control? Do you happen to have the approximate length of the cable needed or the Chrysler part number of the cable that has been discontinued? did you return the cable to Dodge or do you still have it. You could have it modified OR you can also have them made up by a speedometer shop like this one.
www.gaugeguys.com/index.htm

Is this the box you are talking about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's like that but it's an actual box, I found the name today in my manual it's the extended transfer housing, and I have the cable that goes to that to my cluster, but not the one that goes from the ETH to my tranny. I believe the part # is 4482116. I haven't found any searches on it. it's that one and the other one that were made for my truck, and the second one doesn't fit so I ASSUME it's the right one. I don't even have the original cable. probably lost while driving it, don't know, just it's gone. I'll try seeing if that place you offered can make a cable for me seeing as it seems they can make them. Thanks again all

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
the engine bucking seems like a rich to lean surge at that speed / because you said it backfired when it does this

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ok if the harness is plugged in how are the fuses??? also are their any burned spots on the pc board on the back of the cluster?? had a similar problem in a rabbit and i had a spot worn through the board. its a long shot but possible. also check to make sure the harness is plugged in at the sending units. it might have been disconected somehow by someone at some point in time. (a lot of somes huh???) could be bad senders as well.

but whats under chumps profile pic is true. i will get one as soon as i can afford one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts