Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a really mean muscle truck I can easily cruise the country in at 90+mph easily with power to spare, wanna eat a 2020 Tahoe for lunch. So a crate motor that's pumped at 500+-HP reliably and easily and an overdrive transmission. I'd like the steering and suspension tightened up a bit as my 2WD is a lil too bouncy even with new shocks. I'd like it lifted three inches or so but solid. cool AC and loud stereo and I'll be going everywhere in my Ramcharger with my Harley in tow! I'm a disabled war vet and getting around with my bike a little more often in reliable comfort and fun would be awesome! Thanks for all suggestions in advance! 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DODGE RAMCHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  <3   

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
I'd vote either warmed up big block with a 46rh transmission and big-to-small block adapter, or a Cummins/47rh trans.

Stay 2wd?, or 4wd conversion?

- Sam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happy with 2WD, just want a powerful quick truck, maybe even a posi type rear diff. Any suggestions on the best or newest big block I could get bolted in?

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
well...'best' is a matter of perspective, but newest is the '78 blocks - last year for the big blocks.  I used a 78 block simply because that happened to be what was in the particular '79 Winnebago motorcoach I found it in.  500hp would be pretty easy - have it rebuilt fresh...or buy a crate engine from a good Mopar distributor - maybe 440 Source or Mancini or other similar Mopar vendors.  Couple options for transmissions - if you want to go fast you'll need an overdrive, but there were no big blocks with overdrive so you'll need an adapter to fit a small block overdrive tranny to a big block - I used a SMR adapter, but there's also the JW ultrabell kit.  LOTs of considerations - none cheap :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a Ramcharger through the military and all through college. . . .  I have this weird nostalgic love affair with Ramchargers. Found a perfect one with ZERO rust and almost perfect interior. I LOVE IT. I wanted to put a new Mopar Performance 392 HEMI Crate Engine - 68303090AA in it but apparently it only takes manual trannys? SO looking for other options. The 440 may be a good option. What ever I do I am to old to be worried or messin round on the side of the road, this Ramcharger is going to get a brand new drivetrain front to back WITH AC lol. I'll be proud and showin off my Ramcharger everywhere! 

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I like your idea. I'm working on a 2wd RC also, but going with the 6BT and 5spd for power, and D250 suspension.

I sit on a couple of 400ci engines... so I've read up some on potent strokers you can build. Even for the 360 smallblock - at which point I'd probably go magnum for fuel injection. A Ford 9" might be a better idea than a 8.25/9.25".

I hum and haw at the Dodge suspension. I just got back from a good hard ~270 mile commute in the gf's Jeep Liberty (coil IFS w/rack & pinion steering). Half of it 2-lane and kinda twisty/windy. Technically speeding by 10-20%. It'll definitely take some work on a D-series Dodge to make it compete.

More lift spindle options with Chevy suspension.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=509417

... but at some point of going custom, maybe consider that suspension from the Tahoe you're trying to beat. ;) ... or a late model Ram 1500.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Don't mistake "new" with "reliable". Anyone who works at a dealership can tell you that new vehicles frequently have problems also. I went the opposite way, I keep my stuff simple so when it does break, I can fix it on the side of the road in a few minutes rather than needing a tow to a dealership or shop so they can hook their computers to it and then order $1k in new parts to fix it.

Also a 3rd gen Hemi should bolt to any common small block automatic so a manual transmission is not needed.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/will-gen-iii-hemi-fit-project-measured/

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
to ride nice in the rear and still carry the load I'd recommend a set of Chevy 63" leafs from ProComp, the least lifted versions being the #13211 (about a 3" lift), and run in tension without blocks... - will ride great and carry any all loads

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
If it's too bouncy now, and you want a lot of power, I'd consider that 3" lift carefully. Your suspension is a risky area so be careful there.

·
Super Moderator
13,935 Posts
well like I said, run it without the blocks...or even reposition the perches under the axle and run them 'spring under'.  Shocks will matter too - something mo-bettah than store brand...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Where is KurtfromLaQuinta with the "STICK A 440 IN IT!!!! {lol}

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Mad Max said:
to ride nice in the rear and still carry the load I'd recommend a set of Chevy 63" leafs from ProComp, the least lifted versions being the #13211 (about a 3" lift), and run in tension without blocks... - will ride great and carry any all loads
Any longer spring is a gain. I used 2ndgen Dodge (60"). The fwd hanger position will need to come forward to compensate, and because of the curve in the frame, it will net some lift right there.

Starting to wonder if a shortening a 3rdgen chassis to stick under a RC would be a viable option.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mOnstr said:
.... I wanted to put a new Mopar Performance 392 HEMI Crate Engine - 68303090AA in it but apparently it only takes manual trannys? .....
What MoPaR really means by that is that the controller they sell for that motor does not have any means to control a computerized automatic transmission. You can use any automatic transmission that does not need a computer... 727, 518, 46RH or even a 46RE with a manual valvebody.

And FWIW, at EJS I spoke with the 'Jeep Speed Shop' about the conversion kits they sell and it sounded like he'd sell just the computer and harness for a swap and it'd be completly stand-alone. I was specifically curious about can his kits be used in a 1970s dodge... he said yes, but I'd have to sweat out the details for the install. His updated computer stuff would run the motor and the transmission. Including the 8-speeed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DUDE THATS SOUNDS AWESOME!  :) I HOPE THIS BE FAX! Still need help- IDK even what motor can go with what transmission . . . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
RCCADMAN said:
Where is KurtfromLaQuinta with the "STICK A 440 IN IT!!!! {lol}
Here I am!
Mr. mOnstr,
Here's a story of what I did... https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/my-'74-power-wagon-i-ordered-from-dodge-on-873/
It's a looooooong story. To cut it short- I'm currently running a stroked 440 with lots of torque, and a pretty decent amount of horsepower... What are Chevy Tahoe's? Emphasis on the sarcasm.
These type of engines (more horsepower/ torque) can be reliable, but require money to make them that way. I am considering a Sequential Muti Port Injection system in the future for more efficiency. Again... more money.
It is hard to beat the simplicity of dropping in a new crate engine in an older truck. The tech in those engines is great for decent horsepower, great gas mileage and cooler operating temps. There's lots of stuff out there now to adapt them into our older vehicles. And I'm pretty sure you can hook them to a late model automatic transmission.
I all depends on your skill/ money flow on which way to go.
If your skills are low... your money flow will offset that. ;D
If your skills are high... you'll need less money.
Good luck and hang around here for advice... that's free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man! Totally reading your entire build thread good sir and I'm in for the long haul!

I LOVE MY RAMCHARGER!  <3 

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Here I am!
Mr. mOnstr,
Here's a story of what I did... https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/my-'74-power-wagon-i-ordered-from-dodge-on-873/
It's a looooooong story. To cut it short- I'm currently running a stroked 440 with lots of torque, and a pretty decent amount of horsepower... What are Chevy Tahoe's? Emphasis on the sarcasm.
These type of engines (more horsepower/ torque) can be reliable, but require money to make them that way. I am considering a Sequential Muti Port Injection system in the future for more efficiency. Again... more money.
It is hard to beat the simplicity of dropping in a new crate engine in an older truck. The tech in those engines is great for decent horsepower, great gas mileage and cooler operating temps. There's lots of stuff out there now to adapt them into our older vehicles. And I'm pretty sure you can hook them to a late model automatic transmission.
I all depends on your skill/ money flow on which way to go.
If your skills are low... your money flow will offset that. ;D
If your skills are high... you'll need less money.
Good luck and hang around here for advice... that's free.
Mr Kurt, MAN awesome history on your Power Wagon!! I was crushed seeing it rolled. . . . your current engine set up looks awesome! I'm gunna have to save some more money! How can I tell what kind of 318 I have in my truck as the motor I have may not be the original? THANK Y'ALL ALL AGAIN!

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
mOnstr said:
Mr Kurt, MAN awesome history on your Power Wagon!! I was crushed seeing it rolled. . . . your current engine set up looks awesome! I'm gunna have to save some more money! How can I tell what kind of 318 I have in my truck as the motor I have may not be the original? THANK Y'ALL ALL AGAIN!
Thanks!
Yep... rolling your family member is heart breaking. ;D
They say money can't buy everything. It can buy horsepower.
I wish I could help you with the info on your 318, but I lost contact with small blocks around 1991.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
same as your bb's just below a head on block , 360's SEEM to have BIG 360 numbers cast into the sides of the block below the exhaust , but the actual engine numbers and size are just below 1 of the heads ....pass side maybe ???

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I have a 74 360 in my RC. The 360 is stamped on the drivers side front just below the head. There are more numbers embossed under the drivers side exhaust towards the back. Those numbers match numbers on the build sheet under my hood.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.