Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my timing belt broke the other day and I was wondering if it's possible to fit a 5.7 hemi where my 5.2L 318 motor used to be. I am not much of a mechanics so I would love some advice and inspirational feed back.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
First of all, no Dodge came with a timing belt, and second, yes you can swap a 5.7L Hemi into your Ramcharger but it won't be a straight across swap, it will require some modifications (I.e. motor mounts and electrical) etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, no Dodge came with a timing belt, and second, yes you can swap a 5.7L Hemi into your Ramcharger but it won't be a straight across swap, it will require some modifications (I.e. motor mounts and electrical) etc.
Thank you for the information it is much appreciated. I am confident in my wiring skills so its mainly the motor location that is making me nervous about swapping. I guess I should go on YouTube and look for some videos

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Yep, do some homework.

Super Moderator
That is a timing chain.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a timing chain.
Belt Chain.. potato potato lol thankyou though this thread has given me lots of information I needed, I think I'm just going to buy the transmission that goes with this 5.7 hemi and just charge it all, 2 of the plugs are different but im confident I can wire my old ones onto the harness

Registered
Belt Chain.. potato potato lol thankyou though this thread has given me lots of information I needed, I think I'm just going to buy the transmission that goes with this 5.7 hemi and just charge it all, 2 of the plugs are different but im confident I can wire my old ones onto the harness
whats your plan? Using your 88 harness aint gonna work if you want to keep the fuel injection. Holley has made enough parts to put a 5.7/6.1/6.4 into a D/W/AW chassis that its a slam dunk now.

Premium Member
I don't know about a 5.7 swap as I haven't done one but I'm sure it's a fair amount of fab work and custom wiring. Looks like you have a pretty solid rig to start with though, 8 lug swap and nice stance.
I've completed a cummins swap which is a relatively bolt in upgrade overall but still required some fab and a lot of work. I'm sure a complete donor would be a big help.
Eric

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about a 5.7 swap as I haven't done one but I'm sure it's a fair amount of fab work and custom wiring. Looks like you have a pretty solid rig to start with though, 8 lug swap and nice stance.
I've completed a cummins swap which is a relatively bolt in upgrade overall but still required some fab and a lot of work. I'm sure a complete donor would be a big help.
Eric
That axle was special ordered when it was made the gwr/gwf have an extra ton on the tags, and yeah she got good bones, I'm comfortable with doing the wiring it's all the mechanical stuff I struggle with

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That axle was special ordered when it was made the gwr/gwf have an extra ton on the tags, and yeah she got good bones, I'm comfortable with doing the wiring it's all the mechanical stuff I struggle with
Font Publication Rectangle Wood Number

Registered
I usually dont start arguments, but the factory did not put those 8 lugs in. The VIN plate you showed is for a stock 6000GVWR ramcharger. Nothing wrong with that- they are nice axles, but factory did not put them there- previous owner did.

Swapping the engine :
biggest decision is what trans and what fuel system. We cant help until we know.

Well, potato patado, yes, but it's important to be accurate about what you are saying when it comes to mechanical talk, otherwise we can't help you properly. Cheers 馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually dont start arguments, but the factory did not put those 8 lugs in. The VIN plate you showed is for a stock 6000GVWR ramcharger. Nothing wrong with that- they are nice axles, but factory did not put them there- previous owner did.

Swapping the engine :
biggest decision is what trans and what fuel system. We cant help until we know.
[/QUOTE you're right that's the tag from my other 89 you are correct I'll have to post the other one tomorrow I apologize for my lack of organization

A belt is made of soft material and a chain is made of metal 馃. Just in case you were unaware 馃憤

Registered
I've gotten all my info on 5.7 swaps from watching youtube, so who knows if I'm right. But I think the trans bolt pattern is the same as the LA blocks and will bolt right up.

Registered
I've gotten all my info on 5.7 swaps from watching youtube, so who knows if I'm right. But I think the trans bolt pattern is the same as the LA blocks and will bolt right up.

YES id does bolt right up to the 318 transmission BUT you either need a special flex plate or torque converter

Reactions: TheBohunk

Registered

Swapping the engine :
I鈥檇 put a 727 and a carb on every vehicle if I could ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts