Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
I don't think so.

Registered
The center hole is smaller, and the backspacing is more. The lug nut holes may be bigger also.

On the newer 8lug dodge wheels I've tried (99+) 2" spacers set things up right.

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
I stand corrected. Lol

Registered
I think a lot of guys just toss them on without spacers, no?

Registered
I think a lot of guys just toss them on without spacers, no?
Not possible with the smaller center hole. Perhaps you can manage to cut them out. Or you have the rotor and axle pilot machined smaller.

Then you have to determine if they rub when you steer all the way. The offset is going to make them look 'tucked in'.

Super Moderator
The tucked in look is known as "positive offset". I never knew that they changed the offset. Why? Is it because of the body style and frame? The axles are the same width or length as the old ones, no?

Registered
Axles are wider for 94+.

The positive offset wheels seems to be the norm when unit-bearings are used.

Super Moderator
Crazy, I never knew that. How much wider are they? I was actually thinking about swapping over to coil springs and going with the newer axles when I was replacing my old diffs. Good thing I didn't pull that trigger! Lol

Registered
Crazy, I never knew that. How much wider are they? I was actually thinking about swapping over to coil springs and going with the newer axles when I was replacing my old diffs. Good thing I didn't pull that trigger! Lol

Couple inches each side I believe.

I looked at doing this too CCB. I knew not too once I got the tape measure out lol. Hence why I went with the ford 9.75 out of an expedition was nearly identical only I believe an 8th or quarter difference each side.

To the OP, the newer wheels are mainly used by way of boring out the center hole of the wheel or using a spacer with much longer wheel studs that goes over the outside of the hub. Never used a wheel spacer. I had my hummer wheels bored out, or more specifically cut on a lathe for them to fit over my center of my D60's. The wheel will still tuck in as a result of the offset as mentioned above. Most newer wheels are made this way.

Neil

Registered
The width increase is about 2" on the front and 5" on the rear. (Overall, not each side).

A friend of mine got H1 wheels for his 94 ram truck... and ran them with 2" spacers to knock down the offset some.

Super Moderator
The width increase is about 2" on the front and 5" on the rear. (Overall, not each side).

A friend of mine got H1 wheels for his 94 ram truck... and ran them with 2" spacers to knock down the offset some.
Wow, thats substantial, especially in the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts