Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start this off, Jay has final say so over everything - he is letting us have it at his place again. So what he says goes.

Also, we will have to do things differently this year. We need to be better orgainized and we need to have funds (for Jay) before the event starts. There is no need for him to spend a dime out of his own pocket to get this together. A good number to shoot for would be 1500 bucks, which would cover costs of port-o-potties, gas, deisel, oil, chains for chainsaws, line for weedeaters, etc etc etc. Basically pay for everything so Jay doesn't spend money on getting the land ready or for supplies before the event, during the event, and after the event.

So, we have somewhat of a strategy, but we will need lots of opinions.

First thing is we need to create a Ram Jam Committee. Jay is the pre-elected King of this committee, unless he doesn't want to be, then he will pick who is. The committe members have to be at Ram Jam, so don't volunteer if you don't know if you are going.

Once we get that straight, we will then try to think up a good game plan for Ram Jam. This one has to be smooth.

We also need to think of a way to get people to contribute before hand. There were some very good ideas posted before about a package to be sent off. We need to think of a way to have people pay for the event, but not really pay to attend.

We would also like to have all people who will be attending to fill out a form, and that form will be unique for that person and act like a ticketing system, which would be used as an entry ticket. Maybe something we could do is you fill out the form, pay whatever online, and keep your ticket number, then at the event we have a drawing for a prize? Just an idea.

We also need to think of a date. Next may is too close, and if we want sponsors and mags there, we need it to be at least a year away when we tell them. I was thinking Labor Day weekend, anyone else have any ideas? It is ideal to get it on a holiday weekend, that way people don't have to take too many days off of work to attend.

We are going to have to do alot of planning, so spit out your ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm stil new to RCC, but I'm willing to help out. I don't mind contributing to Ram Jam.....attend or not (hopefullty attending this time).

·
Registered
594 Posts
This could be some leg work for the "area leaders" to work on collecting feed back on. Maybe area fund support. We all do business thru out the U.S. Never know could get something as simple as donated chainsaw blades. JAT
tim

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good idea Ronzilla.

Glenn, I don't really care if the mags come really, but I do know that sponsor's will like a long advance notice, and I figure if we make it a year, that gives everyone plenty of time to tell their bosses they need off. Also gives people time to get their truck stuff done, unlike me ;D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've never been in sales. How do you approach someone about being a sponsor? Would you talk to a dealership? Parts store? Who would be more receptive? We got any sales folks here that could give an intro class and maybe put together a package on the subject? Just throwin ideas out. ???
Tony

·
Registered
943 Posts
Since event planning was my "bread and butter" for several years, I know a little bit about the subject.

In order for sponsors to take us seriously, we first need to compile some event propaganda; i.e. letter of request (on letterhead) explaining pertinent event information. The letter should be from Sam, as the web master, and most importantly, it should explain what the sponsors get in return should they decide to participate.

Once a letter of request is compiled, then the solicitation can begin. Although dealerships and parts stores are a natural source, don't limit ourselves to them. Be creative! You'd be amazed at who would sponsor an event, if only asked, to get their business name publicized. It's an easy write-off for companies. But, we have to approach professionally! Keep in mind businesses get approached very frequently! They need to know why it would be better to sponsor our event over someone else's.

As a sponsor of the event, Custom Cals is willing to provide a banner for the event. So, we can inform the potential sponsors that if they sponsor at a particular level, their name will be proudly displayed on a banner at the event.

On that note, sponsorship levels can be determined. Lower level sponsors can get their name included in an event program. Mid level sponsors get their name included in the event program and displayed on the banner in "x"-size print. High level sponsors get their name displayed in the event program, displayed on the banner in "y"-size print (larger than "x"-size) and recognized as a sponsor on the RCC web site sponsor page.

The above are just examples, but you get my point. Sponsors need options and incentives. They need to feel like they're getting their "money's worth" in return; and what they get in return doesn't need to cost us anything -- just simple stuff.

It wouldn't be difficult to create RCC letterhead. A letter of request can be compiled, and then be accessed via a .pdf file or something. RJ 2003 Committee Members can access it and print it for solicitation purposes.

Personal follow-up is critical. Remember the part of businesses getting swarmed with requests? Well, you need to contact them 2-3 days after sending the request so that the letter gets pulled out of the trash and placed in the in-box with a big, fat "Approved!" stamped on it.

Okay - this is a novel and a half. I'll quit for now.

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
MontanaJoe said:
Where is Jay's? I think I saw Nebraska somewhere? Can't wait.
It's in the extreme south east corner of Nebraska. Dawson Nebrsaka to be more specific. Its one big, boomin' metropolis, I'll tell ya what! LOL

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
All of the ideas sound really great. I know the majority of people don't care too much if the mags show up or not but maybe we should put a firm date down on paper by say the end of this week. This way we can immediatly get the date out to the mags and tell them when and where it will be again. It will at least get the ball rolling with the mags and let us know exactly when the date is going to be.

As far as sponsors go, great idea, but just remember that the 'big' dogs (ie skyjacker, rough country, etc) like twister said get asked A LOT! So if we are planning on trying to get them at all they should have one point of contact, not three or four people contacting them.

Mike

G

·
I like Labor Day weekend for a date and letting the mags know so we can get possible coverage too. If they come and cover great, if they don't, screw 'em we will have a great time anyhow. I think we need to have Sam do the contacting though.

We could try to get some people or businesses to donate things we need, like porta-potties or giveaways, in exchange for getting their name in a program or on one of twisters banners, that is a very good idea. I can probably get my boss to donate some automotive related things from the store to give away as part of a raffle or something.

We should have some sort of security there as well so the problems that happened last time could be avoided or dealt with if they recur. A $5.00 "donation" to attend, and say $7.50 at the door, would help defray costs also. If we could get people to register early it would also give us an idea how many will attend, and will give us a way to issue tickets through IM's or e-mail also.

I plan to attend RJ 2003 (unless something major comes up)
so I will help on the committee and look forward to meeting you all at Jays. I'm sure I'll come up with more ideas.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
MontanaJoe said:
Ya think ya will have that truck fixed by then MJ? :eek:
Labor day W/E sounds good. Where's the waivers we need to sign.
Tony

·
Registered
943 Posts
tv_larsen said:
MontanaJoe said:
It's in the extreme south west corner of Nebraska. Dawson Nebrsaka to be more specific. Its one big, boomin' metropolis, I'll tell ya what! LOL
Umm, TV...that would be extreme south east corner of Nebraska. ;D Hehe Gotcha! :p

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Sam, to help in the funds area, why don't you raise the price of EVERYTHING sold thru the site or for the site by $ 1. That ain't gonna kill anyone, and it will raise some money kinda easily.

You could also set aside a seperate fund, with it's own counter / gas gage on the site, specifically for RJ '03.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Shoot, I figured you'd have sold way more than that in stickers alone, and then the lifts / parts ???

Well, every little bit helps...maybe 2 or 3 bucks a pop ??? I know it wouldn't really hurt anyone....

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
i like the idea of donations over a cover charge anyways. might just be me but i feel a lot better "contributing" to the cause, than being "forced" to pay to play even thoguh either way money goes same place.

what incident happened last time that requires security? rowdy people? injury? (i can donate my billy club and bigbad360 can swing it ;D )

selling food sounds like a good idea but it brings about a more commercial feel to RCC than a "back yard cook out" i know that i dont mind giving buncha food to my neighbors and them bringing over some too. no need for any monetary exchange. there company is well worth it.

i dunno how you guys did it last year but id stay away from selling brewskis. this is a truck event ya know. plus in michigan you gotta have a liquor license any ways.

twister helped me and sam write up a awesome sponsorship request to over 90 leading companies, none of which even replied back with a "NO!"

might get more help from local dawson area businesses hoping to tap into the increased spending over the weekend.

maybe its time to dump more RCC off road products onto ebay. i was even wondering if i could talk to my local PLanet POwersports shop and see if they want to carry your line of products that way people that dont have internet access can still buy them (lotta "rural" people around here).

any ideas as to events this year?

i know ya dont got time now, but maybe could raise some money from that online auction program. "proceeds go towards RJ03"

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Twister said:
Umm, TV...that would be extreme south east corner of Nebraska. ;D Hehe Gotcha! :p
What are you taking about? It says East now. ??? LOL, sorry about that, musta been one of those days. I drive on the left side of the road sometimes too. :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
Labor day wekend i believe would work well for most of us especially if you have really long drive gives a few extra days to get back home or get there...I think as far as raising funds for Jay i say we do it just like we support here...We take seperate donations specifically for R.J.....Those who donate are entered into a drawing at R.J. to win some type of prize at R.J.(drawing)........Also think those that are contributors (and are attending) should help with food ,barbeque,drinks,etc.Me my wife ,and my 2 sons will be attending and will try to help out any way we can ..I also like the idea of setting a date now rather than later alot of us really need to be prepared for taking a week off of work and driving 3000 miles round trip (just guessing im sure its further than that for me).........I'll ramble more later see ya Jason

1 - 20 of 62 Posts