Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just bought an 85 Ram Charger to plow with this winter. We are working on it getting it all ready to go. Noticed this ooozz coming out of an electrical component bolted to the fire wall. :eek: Looks something like a relay of some sort. Two ears sticking out that take the bolts to the firewall, and some wires running off to who-knows-where. The truck runs and all electric seems to work, but if this thing fails during a snow storm, that would be a bad thing. Anybody got any ideas what this item could be?

thanks

·
29,452 Posts
Does the connector come out of the center and have a screw in the center of it holding it on?
If so, it's the ECU (electronic control unit) aka, igntion module.
It sounds like its overheating and its resin is coming out. Just go to Autozone, they have a replacement for less than $20.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not likely, there is a lot of this stuff running down the firewall. Would like to replace the unit, but what do I ask for when I take it into the parts store?? I'm sure there is a part # on it somewhere, but would help If I knew what it is to begin with.

thanks

·
29,452 Posts
Just tell them you need an ignition module, that should do it. These modules are a common failure in older Mopars, so they usually have plenty on hand
If you want to be sure about the oooze, pull the unit off and look at the back of it. They are supposed to be filled with a resin, if it looks like it has melted, that should answer your question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts