Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab 4x4. The front tires were real bad and cupped too. Passengers side way worse than drivers side but both tires will need to be replaced.

I am going to replace what needs to be replaced but not sure what that is. The truck still drives fine on the highway except the passenger tire is loud and shaky now.
I see the boots on the tie rod ends are cracked so I'll replace those. The track bar seems tight when I pry on the ends with a bar. Should i replace it anyway? King pins appear tight as do the wheel bearings. I don't want to cheap out and wreck a new set of tires but I don't need to replace parts that are still good either. Anyone have experience with this?

Cley

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
with tires on ground , engine running , have a helper move steering wheel left/right just enough to BEGIN to move the tires , watch the tie rod ends , look for any movement in the ball/sockets of them , same for the steering arm ends . next with tires OFF the ground , pry UP on tires an look for vertical movement in ball joints ( helper required)
next pull out on bottom of tire / push in on upper of tire , look/feel  for movement in wheel bearings .
after replacing/repairing ALL worn parts , do a "toe in" alignment  the wear on one edge of tire like that is USUALLY a toe adjustment . the cupping is usually BAD tire balance or bad cord in tire , lack of tire rotation . ( front to rear )  KNOW that knobbie / mud/snow type tread tires WILL wear faster when used on pavement , aftermarket rims that make tires stick out ( offset) increase that wear substantially .  if you have tires that are "thumping" check them for side wall bulging , replace them soon . you get what you pay for in brand name tires .

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
you have kingpins on a 2010?
I'm assuming you meant balljoints- how many miles on those?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Agreed, I'm pretty sure there are no kingpins after 1993.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, they are ball joints. And they're screwed. Up and down movement over an eighth of an inch.

Cley

·
Registered
399 Posts
Check track bar same time/same way as checking tie rod ends as dodge 82273 describes. I will add,holding your hand on each joint(and what its attached to) while being checked helps you to "feel" any play in them that sometimes you can't see.  Need to trust your helper while doing this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.