Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Rain Leak

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  TreeFrog 
#1 ·
When I bought my truck I did not notice untill later that the driver's side floormat had been pulled loose. I looked under it and noticed that the mat was soaked. I watched and found one small leak during a rain storm.

I took the entire mat out of the truck and have watched for other leaks. I see no others to date.

The leak seams to be coming from the drivers kick panel. I am believing (at this point) that the Kick Vent might be leaking. any suggestions or signs to look for?

I will be taking the kick panel out soon to see what I can find from the inside.

#2 ·
Also check the rain gutter on the fire wall. Pretty common for leaks to apear via the body filler going to hell.

#3 ·
I saw a few older topics on that ... the joints leaking.

#5 ·
perhaps a pin-hole leak at the(in the) gutter... or while driving enough water is forced into the gasket at the windshield (top) and pushed thru

#7 ·
treefrog said:
or while driving enough water is forced into the gasket at the windshield (top) and pushed thru
That would be my guess...bad or worn out gasket. Could also have been incorrectly installed.

I have used the windshield stop-leak in the past with success (basically you inject silicon into the existing weather seal with a needle to fill in any voids) but the next time you go to get the windshield replaced, not only will the installers expand their vocabulary, they will expand the labor bill :(

-SM

#8 ·
I think Dad had a problem with his once. if you dont mind the mess you can run a think bead of Silicone in the rail and thin it out with your finger.... it should be enough to stop it....if its the problem..and then you will know

#10 ·
Not sure if the RCs have the same problem but on MOPAR B bodies (Charger, Road Runner Coronet etc) a leak from under the dash was alwasy most likely the seals around the windshield wiper shafts where they go through the cowl sheet metal. Take a look, it might keep you from having to have gobs of silicone all over your truck.

Cheers

Chris

#11 ·
true I have seen this as well (and silicone around those just the same...(Liquid Duct Tape!) my leak (Ilooked tonight) apears to be water inside of the kickpanel vent....so ...is there a drain in the vent box (clogged)? or should water not get in there. I figure if air, and leaves can get in there Water should be able to...

#12 ·
well i know mine is comming from the upper corners because i have had it drip on me while driving. and i keep a paper towl or napkin up in the corners and it soaks it up for the itme being but i want to get it fixedeventually. someday i will take this thing down to bare metal and redo whatever needs to be done. but for n ow i just hate it. as for the wiper pivots its on pretty much all older mopars. i run abodys and they all leak.

#13 ·
take a GOOD look in the recess over the top of the windshield, Mine has some rot holes in it, only leaks when you are driving fast enough to push the rain off the top of the glass. I got it looked at and it's EXPENSIVE to fix right!!! Has to be re-built, not replaced w/ new metal. I just filled in the whole gap under the edge of the roof with silicone after a few good warm dry days.

#15 ·
I have gotten as far into the vent as I can w/o pulling the parking brake assembly. I still find no reasonable cause of a leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.