Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am into restoring this D100, I have discovered the need to replace the AM/FM radio. I would like to find a good used one somewhere if anyone has one available for sale. But the better possibility would be to upgrade with a modern unit with the latest technologies and features. Anyone here have knowledge of a unit that would retrofit or experience with this issue that could share some information?. Thanks....l

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I would just install a modern single DIN size stereo.  There isn't much reason to keep a stock type radio in there and the few units available that look stock but have modern features are ridiculously overpriced.  A DIN size stereo is the most common size and will look clean installed with a typical install kit.  I think the install kits I have used recently are a Scosche brand and have a little poked under the radio for a cell phone or notebook or similar small items.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The stock radios really don't work all that well something is always wrong with them. If you got the cash go on Crutchfield you can get a really good radio for under $100 . They will also have everything else you need to install it and they'll even send you directions for free and probably some other stuff also.                                   
            And if you need speakers on the cheap and that are really good on the cheap ,kicker is the way to go ..  extremely clear clean music Rockford Fosgate

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'm a JVC guy but they change their face plate to a flatter screen and you can no longer read them in the sunlight so that's a major Downer.    I haven't been on Crutchfield in a while but there used to be a Sony radio that was a 200 watt.  That and some kicker CS speakers and you'd be pumping. Kickers need an amp to sound good.                                                                             
            ( Call Crutchfield )and do not be afraid to talk to them they will help you out with anything you need to know and want ,their very good people.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
And that 200 watt power will be RMS power not Peak. For instance  45watt rms x4. Then would be 100 watt x4 peak power.  Also turns the price of the radio from $98 to $198  basically you're getting double the amperage built into the head unit for double the money.
                    You can actually distort and Destroy Speakers by not putting enough power to them. It's called clipping when you turn it up loud and there's not enough juice.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
You can actually distort and Destroy Speakers by not putting enough power to them.
Now I know why my speakers blow every time I turn the radio off. ::)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Are you being funny? Superburban  .if you have a high-wattage speaker and a low wattage head unit or amp. That doesn't have enough power to push those high-wattage speakers. And you turn the radio all the way up. It can ruin the speakers !👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Its much more of a wives tale, then fact. If you put 100 watt speakers on a 20 watt unit, nothing will happen. If you put 100 watt speakers on a cheap 80 watt head, then turn up the volume, past the distortion point, or clipping, you may well be putting out well more then 100 watts. Even though a head is rated for 80 watts, that is the level with acceptable distortion, and not all the way up on the volume.  Also, I think many times those are cheap speakers that never had any chance of handling the power the box claimed they could. So yes, damage happens, but not because of a lower rated amp, but because of marketing hype of one or both parts.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Good asesment, to the point of distortsion👍🏻

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went on the Crutchfield website, and the choices are numerous (and honestly overwhelming) for a novice! I have the 2 speakers in the doors and 2 behind the seats. I believe I will replace the 2 in the doors, and retain the rear ones, or even disconnect them. I have $200 budgeted to spend on a car stereo & speakers and would ask for a recommendation, as I really need help on making a decision. I removed the old radio and door speakers today.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
You just need to decide what is important, what features you want and what can you do without.  If you have CDs, then you will want a head unit with a CD player.  MP3s used to be a big deal and everyone wanted a USB port for a thumb drive but now most people are streaming and either want a interface that matches their cell phone or just an auxiliary jack.  Since 90% of my music listening is done through Spotify, I could really get along with a head unit that has nothing but an auxiliary jack, but I doubt they make one.  But your priorities will differ so you will need to get something that matches your preferences.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, Elwenil. I have an old flip phone as my cell phone and it has all I need in a phone, so I would think interfacing with a phone is out. I have no CD's and do not plan to use that option either. I would very much like to tap into a music channel that provides a choice of 24 hour music, and want an AM/FM radio, also. Those features and a good quality set of speakers are my only requirements.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Unless you have a good section of radio stations near you, about the only way you are going to get a choice of music 24/7 is to go with satellite radio, and even that will only let you pick a music genre.  A smart phone with a Spotify subscription would get you pretty much anything you want, but you would have to manually select it.  I fought the whole "streaming music" thing for a while but now that I have it, I don't know how I got along without it.  I haven't bought a CD in years and that is saying something for me.  Still, music is a pretty big deal in my life and there is almost constantly something playing.  Spotify also lets me listen to things that are not easy to come by like my current favorites of Scandinavian folk metal and melodic death metal.  Not everyone's cup of tea and definitely nothing you can pick up at the local Walmart.  ;D

But you can get head units that will receive SiriusXM satellite radio, and though it is mostly commercial free, it's still radio and will typically repeat the same couple popular songs every hour or so with a few others thrown in for variety.  No Scandinavian folk metal though.  ;D  It's not cheap, in my opinion, at around $15 for one subscription.  That is a little more than I pay for my whole family to use Spotify.  But satellite radio won't require you to pick up a smart phone and all the fun that comes with figuring out how to use one.  Otherwise you are going to be stuck with the usual AM/FM stations near you and whatever CDs you have.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I always grab a head unit that has aux and usb.
If your looking for minimal cheap power, alpine makes a mini class D amp that bumps your stock head unit for about 15w RMS to about 45w RMS for about $75.

It isn’t a Huge audio upgrade, but makes the sound so much cleaner. I ran it in my 03 Hemi for 7 years.
When I found out what the buyer was paying my for the truck over the phone I immediately yanked that amp and wired the head unit straight to the speakers. I’m keeping my lil amp. Small enough to tuck behind the dash, speakers lasted forever, and the sound was weirdly crisp. Made AM radio sound like he was in the passenger seat.

The stock radios always suck, and if you don’t like your aftermarket head unit, once you have the install kit, it’s an easy swap. But if you amplify it at all, go class D. And watch the RMS, ignore the peak wattage. RMS is continuous, peak, most times is an exaggeration.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just get an $89 head unit. The ones with a more convex face and not a flat face for more sunlight readable.$79 or so kicker speakers, Your din Mount should be $10and your wiring harness should be $10,didn't look but that's what they used to be. And there you go you're right around $200.                                         
                                I had a flip phone for Years also there's nothing like upgrading to a smart phone where you can do everything. My old smartphone which is small by today's standards, holds thousands and thousands and thousands of songs(music). I just connect that with Bluetooth and there you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gentlemen, many thanks for all these tips. Okay, Jeffy I really need to upgrade to a more modern phone. So I suppose all I need to do is look for a  car stereo that has the Bluetooth feature? Then I have access to a bunch of music choices? If I decide to add the amp, then it will put me beyond the budget but would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You don't really need an amp,an amp will just make those Kicker Speakers sound better but it will be plenty loud with out it.  They have one that doesnt play cd's too

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That would be why maby wait ,come up w/another $100 and get the sony w/ the amp built in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.