Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Pioneer radio to put in the old 87 RC. I bought a plug with pigtail at Wal Mart which supposely is for Dodges. However, it does not have enough wires. Under the dash are two connectors-one flat and one square. Not sure what they each do. Can someone tell me or shoot me a wiring diagram showing the color codes for the wires going to the dodge radios. The vehicle has two door speakers. Thanks.

David

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Your best bet would be to just tape all the old wires back and run new ones. I had a lot of problems with mine until I rewired the radio and its fine now.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This has been posted before. I think you got the wrong adapter. Also, I think there should be two flat connectors, one black and one grey.
Sorry I couldn't offer much.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I agree with 85RC. Just rewire the entire radio. It will be easier and more dependable.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
easier?? I've used several of those wiring kits.. and unless there wasn't one for the needed application; I wouldn't chose rewiring it from scratch over a 5-10 minute job of matching up and crimping the adapter to the radio in the comfort of the house.. walking outside, plug it back it, and listen to it. Unless someone has already hacked up the factory harness or you're doing a competition type stereo. You shouldn't have to rewire just to change out a stereo.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Sure you can't beat the ease of those wiring kits, I've havn't looked that hard, but when I did nobody had anything or even knew if they made one for my 85. So I used the factory wires and spliced the radio stuff into those, worked ok, but I lost my dash lights because of a bad factory ground. By the time I found the ground,which was way back in the dash, I said screw it and rewired everything for the radio. Only took me a half an hour to do it.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
It doesn't take much to rewire a deck from scrath, just a constant 12 volt, accessary 12 volt and ground wire and then either use the factory speaker wires or replace them too. Very easy job. But yes, and adapter does work well as long as a previous owner hasn't already cut out the factory radio plugs. If so you have to rewire it from scratch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Speaking of radios... anyone knows of one which would look well in an '86 RamCharger? Sure, it's in the eye of beholder, but still--the majority of modern ones feature too, ahem, modern design... So far I've found just one I'd like, the Pioneer DEH-P77MP; it's a bit too pricey and too hifi for my rig though ;) Any ideas? (As for functionality, all I want is CD-R support, preferrably including MP3's, that's all)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-P460MP which plays CD-R and MP3s. I would not get one that didn't play MP3s. I got it for $121 on e-bay. This is what I am trying to install.

David
David

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i run an older kenwood in my 77 PW.... it works ok but as soon as i get the face for my pioneer i'm puttin my changer back in..... as far as wireing it in there should be an adapter kit out there as well as the adapter for the dash opening also..... IF there is not the easy way to wire it in is take your test light and find the hot leads, run a new ground, and find the color of the door speaker wires (i.e. pull speaker and look at the wire colors... their usually the same at the stereo end....) and put in scotch lock splices.... i had to do that for my 77 and it worked out nicely... i also pulled the wireing out of my 77 aspen to adapt to the factory speaker but thats a little difficult for what your workin on.... i also ran a 12V+ hot lead straight to the fuse box on the COLD side of a constant 12V hot..... the cold side being the side thats dead AFTER the fuse has been pulled..... just a suggestion...

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 84 RC also has the two plug system. I was having the same dilemma as you. I have the wiring diagrams but I didn’t want to cut where I really didn’t have to. I bought my pigtail wire harness at Best Buy. They have the correct one with the two plugs that go to any radio. I also bought a bracket that the radio will sit in and bolt in place of the stock radio. It also has a wide lip around it so there aren’t any gaps caused by putting in a smaller sized radio in your RC. When it is all done it looks like your aftermarket radio came from the factory. The only thing I had to do was use a couple of small washers for a spacer to make the bracket sit flush. If you do not have a Best Buy in your town, check out a local car stereo shop. They will have everything you need for just a few buck more than Best Buy.
I hope this helps,
Streak-O-Lean

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sam,

You are right on. Went to Wal-Mart and got a wiring harness and installation kit for about $16. The wiring harness was $7 at Wal Mart. Went to Best Buy, the exact same harness made by the same manufacturer was $16. The installation kit was another $16! I think that I will rewire the speakers but use the old connector with the new harness and pigtail I purchased at Wal Mart. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

David

·
Registered
561 Posts
Crutchfield offers the "vehicle specific" mating plugs that plug into your existing harness and splice into the radio harness. I've done 3 of these and it was a piece of cake. I think the adapter harnesses are $8 - $10.00 tops. Worth a lot of time savings and helps produce a professional, trouble free installation. Just my .02, but I wouldn't do it any other way.

Dave

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I also have had lots of luck with JVC. They are just as good as the higher end stuff and are a bunch cheaper. I think they look better too. But I just got a pioneer deh 3400 from one of my employees at work to throw in the RC. Anybody know if that is a good model? Looks good and isn't that old either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
dbgil said:
I bought a Pioneer Premier DEH-P460MP which plays CD-R and MP3s. I would not get one that didn't play MP3s. I got it for $121 on e-bay. This is what I am trying to install.

David
David
I got this same (I think the same, DEH-P4600MP, maybe you typoed?) stereo and installed it in my '93 Dakota. I really like it except for one thing-that display will blind you at night! What I have been doing is once I have it set where I want it, I open the faceplate to cut off the glare... The MP3's and WMA's are cool, it is nice to have 8-10 CD's worth of music on a single CD-R :)

I got mine at Wal-Mart for about $180 + the wiring and install kits. Installation was easy. Sounds like you did a better deal than me pricewise.

Glenn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts