Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone make a how to on putting in a new radio, what brand of radio is beast, and help with speaker, woofers, and amps

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd recommend a Apline Deck.. Thier alot bette quality then others even if you buy the cheaper ones.. they will last alot longer.. I've had a Apline Deck for close to 8 years now and still works great and i've put it through it's paces.. As for wiring.. it's a wire as you go.. Now days when you get a deck, it'll come with instructions that will say what each wire is for.. http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
If you order from Crutchfield.com, most of the time they will include whatever mounting kit and wiring harness adapters you need for your application.
Check out their website as they have a lot of good info on there like what you're looking for.

As far as brand, all depends on what you're looking for, what type of rig you plan on using it in (trail rig or street/daily driver) and how much you have to spend.

·
Registered
29,317 Posts
no matter what you buy for a radio get the dash install kit and the wiring kit / its plug and play

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
no matter what you buy for a radio get the dash install kit and the wiring kit / its plug and play
i agree ...unless the po has already done the hack job :mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
i would agree with twofourturbo i have two alpines in my vehicles and they are great. if your looking for a good cheaper alternative pioneer makes a really good deck too. as for speakers if your plannin on going into any water i would get marine speakers, if not your alpine deck will make just about any speakers sound sweet.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Both my RCs have Alpine head units - they sound great, really don't cost that much, and install easily.  Alpine also makes a true 45w amp that plugs inline to the harness so you can install it in about ten minutes if you already have an Alpine head unit installed (and most of that ten minutes is finding a suitable power source).  I've found this to be much more than I need - and I like my music loud.  I won't be adding the amp to my second RC since I really don't need it.

Plug right into the stock wiring connection with the proper adapter.  In both trucks I'm running 3-way 6X9s in the doors and in the kick panels for the back seat.  running wires for those rear speakers was maybe a 45 minute job - pretty simple.  IIRC, those rear speaker connections at the head unit were the only real "wiring" I had to do.  The rest was plug and play.

I'll be pulling the dash apart soon on my '84 to add white face gauges and LEDs in place of the std 194 bulbs.  I'll take some pics of the head unit wiring and post a brief how-to.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i run nothing but pioneer decks in my rides. had two since 2000. been thruu 6 vehicles and no probs at all. speakers are your decision, but marine are good idea as water and such. i have 2000 watts in  my sub and the deck keeps up no prob and an e q is a good way to stabilize it all. i have the deck, an eq, a capacitor, and the amp. u hear me from half mile away.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
blindside said:
i run nothing but pioneer decks in my rides. had two since 2000. been thruu 6 vehicles and no probs at all. speakers are your decision, but marine are good idea as water and such. i have 2000 watts in my sub and the deck keeps up no prob and an e q is a good way to stabilize it all. i have the deck, an eq, a capacitor, and the amp. u hear me from half mile away.
:) More like they feel you a 1/2 mile a way! I've never been a fan of the modern trend of overly bassed car audio. I like my music to mimic a live performance as much as possible and the music I listen to just doesn't have all that bass... and I have four electric bass guitars and an upright bass in the house and I build my own bass instrument speaker cabinets because none of the commercially available ones are good enough (I'm a bass kinda guy).

But, I know LOTs of folks are into that sound. Just be sure your lug nuts don't rattle loose!

·
Registered
51 Posts
just get those locking type lug nut's and disturb the neighbors lol. I agree with madurobob i listen to rock and heavy metal, I don't need rap and hip hop bass i want to feel like i'm at their concert it's f'n awesome!!!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
To the original poster, there are so many options with car SUV audio that it's hard to pick one. Alpine and Pioneer make good head units, that's a good place to start. There's not a whole lot to wiring in a new Head unit (stereo). You have a Fused power wire with 12volts always connected to the stereo, a "remote" wire from the key, and a ground. From there, depending on what speaker config you run, there are RCA's and Amplified outputs from the stereo. If you get an adapter to go from the stereo to the original pig tail, its a quick swap.

If you've got more questions, I'd be happy to help you with this, I've done quite a bit of work with stereo installs the last few years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts