Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New water pump, new clutch fan, two different 180 degree thermostats, and I know my radiator is less than healthy.
Napa wants $400 for a radiator. Anyone got an idea for a cheaper reasonable solution?
1982 5.9 w150 4spd.
Likes to run warm but not boiling.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
New water pump, new clutch fan, two different 180 degree thermostats, and I know my radiator is less than healthy.
Napa wants $400 for a radiator. Anyone got an idea for a cheaper reasonable solution?
1982 5.9 w150 4spd.
Likes to run warm but not boiling.
Yup, generic Chevy radiator from Speedway racing and make it work (I used a couple of blocks and tabs on the frame). Depending on the model it might be 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Id be curious to see what other people have done as well.

Im looking at upgrading to an aluminum rad but yeah ... the $$$ goes high quickly.

Also, any recommendations to changing the stock blower fan to something less hp draining?
I was going to go electric but its noisy and expensive - I still might though ;p

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Evenprime said:
Id be curious to see what other people have done as well.

Im looking at upgrading to an aluminum rad but yeah ... the $$$ goes high quickly.

Also, any recommendations to changing the stock blower fan to something less hp draining?
I was going to go electric but its noisy and expensive - I still might though ;p
A properly working clutch fan is excellent. HP loss is only when needed - hot radiator requiring the extra air flow. I'd use a quality heavy-duty clutch and leave it at that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked out summit there’s one universal for about $150, anyone have expirience?
Are more rows necessary?

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Another member just got a radiator from  kks, part number KKS889. Except that his got damaged in shipping, and he is waiting on a new one, he said it looked good.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
LMC TRUCK catalog has sizes and pictures  oem style though .  I use the taller one if I need extra coolin and make the shroud fit , hood closes fine even tho rad is up about 2 inches higher ... newer ( 92)has overflow the wrong direction for older trucks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.