Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, as some of you may know i'm doing a 440 swap into my 85 ram. last night i was making some measurements on my radiators, i have the stock radiator for the 360 and i have a radiator i got from my 440 donor truck. all measure ments match eachother 26 inches wide and about 25 inches tall and 3 inches thick. they appear to be idenical except for the upper hose connection is on the opposite side. what i want to know is do i have an upgraded 360 radiator in the truck like a towing package or something? how do i find out how many cores i have in the radiator? i would just use the donor radiator i have but it needs a recore, the 360 one i have doesn't leak and looks to be in good shape.
thanks, shawn

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Personally I would go and get the 440 radiator recored and then drop that in. That would I would have a "new" radiator and wouldn't have any leaks then or other fitment problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
The main problem with using the sb radiator would be in finding the "custom fit" radiator hose that would work. Check the diameters of the outlets too... the location may not be the only thing that is different.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Or you can make custom mounts for the 4 core BB rad u have . just chop off the old supports and make some new 1's out of some steel or aluminum steel preferreably . Weld it up and be doen with it . Also I think the sB rad has the hose palacement in the rad is dffrerent from a BB engine I think .

bt83rc

·
Registered
990 Posts
Do yourself a favor and use the 440 radiator.

The SB radiator to RB block radiator hose is practically impossible to find.

To tell how many cores, drain the radiator down until you can see them through the filler neck and look down in it...

The 360 radiator witha A/C is physically the same size, it's just the hose thing that "hoses" it up...

Mike

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fitment is not a problem because the BB rad i have is the same size and recore really isn't a prob i have access to a new in the box BB rad for 150 bucks so i'll just get the new one.
shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts