Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
That pretty much depends on what radiator you have. Yeah, that sounds like a stupid answer to a simple question but its not that simple. In my case, the PO had a fender bender that messed up the rad support and apparently the radiator. The rad that's in it is clearly from a 80s something based on trans cooler connections. Some factors to be aware of when hunting around the boneyard:

1. 77 or 78 and down have studs mounted on the rad. The shroud is attached with nuts. 78 or 79 and up just have tabs on the rad for mounting the shroud with sheet metal type screws. An easy trip to the hardware store except the location of the mounting holes also moved.

2. There are (2) different width rads (and shrouds). I think it's mostly a/c vs not a/c but small block vs big block may also be a factor. Generally, an a/c truck will have the wider rad and the big block will have an extra row of tubes. The "narrow" rads are at least 2-3" smaller than the "wide" ones.

3. Late 70s trucks use a smaller diameter fan than 80s trucks - 19" vs 21".

4. Some shrouds PNs were used on both cars and trucks. Quick example that comes to mind in that a 77 small block truck uses the exact same shroud as an early 70s A-body. Another one is that many year vans use the same rad / shroud as late 70s B-bodys.

Figure out the dimensions that you need, including distance from rad to fan and hit the biggest u-pull-it ya can find. If ya elect to swap the fan based on best fit shroud ya find, pay attention to blade angle. One of the POs of my other 79 installed one intended to rotate the other way so it was pushing under hood air in to the rad instead of pulling outside air in. Yeah, that one took a while to figure out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I saw one on ebay a couple of days ago but it's 150 bucks plus 50 bucks shipping

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
yea it's crazy...but it's "RARE" :)
Actually...things like that are getting really rare around here unless you want to buy the entire truck as a parts truck...or give the seller a call to barter and see if they will part with what your looking for.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
A few years ago somebody's stalled project showed up in the [kinda] local u-pull-it. I scored the complete D44 for a staggering $90 and snagged the rad while I was at it. Assembled in mexico after market but clearly recent new when parked and built just before the quality of them fell off dramatically. A $200 rad for like $20, identical to one I was running and I have this other project.

I found the PN on the shroud I had and started the search for another. Yeah 70s stuff in yards is getting hard to find. Yeah, when found the shroud is often gone or damaged. Did find an NOS one on ebay for something like $200 shipped but wasn't gonna pay that. Apparently I wasn't alone as it was still on the bay at least 6 months later.

Eventually found the spot in this part of the world where old Dodges get sold down to the last piece. There's a lot of stuff there with almost nothing left of them but one day I walked in and the first hood I looked under had the shroud I was hunting - in one piece and already unbolted too. Oddly enough, the hunt for the right fan took longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.