Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has new ram 4.7 auto and is wanting to add some red line tranny fluid. It's a 24 oz does he need to drain any off or just pour and go? thanks mike

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
when i added it to my 89, i did a fluid change, added the lucas first, then topped it off with tranny fluid.

Duane

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I'd do a complete filter/fluid change, then when you are refilling the trans, put the lucas stuff in first, then top off with whatever uyou want to use for fluid. I use lucas and type f in my 727.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've used the Lucas Trans addative extensively, (last 55k miles). My personal opinion, at 144.5k miles is that, seriously, having kept up on the band adjustments and general service intervals, I know a lot of guys that got a lot less miles out of their A518's than I've gotten out of mine. Funny thing is, at this mileage, mine will still bark the tires, (37's), on a hot day going into second gear when manually shifted.

Of course I installed the TransGo shift kit, specifically for the A518, that incorporates the oiling improvements for the overdrive at 90k. I'm getting ready to drop a 360 crate motor in the frame of my '90 RC. I'll also be sending my trans out to be overhauled becasuse by mileage, (if for no other reason), it's due to be freshened up.

I can tell you this, the last time I serviced the trans, (fluid and filter and a bottle of Lucas trans oil additive), I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the bottom of the trans pan considering the mileage. I'm sure the TransGo shift kit has had a lot to do with the age and survival of the transmission too, but I've got to give the Lucas people Kudos too. I think it definately made a difference due to it's higher viscosity, which increased the fluid presure, not to mention its superior lubricating properties. Routine maintenance has a lot to do with survivability of these transmissions too.

Dave

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i agree with that last line whole heartedly. my a518 has 350k miles on it, with no problems, and no rebuild in sight. and after near bout cooking my 727 in the RC at uwharrie, i added lucas and the tranny still performs flawlessly. its all in the maintenance.

Duane

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the mis information, It is for his jeep it has 120 k on it and still going. Passed along the info - thanks mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.