Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing out my PCV valve and had the engine running. I have a hose going from a nipple on carb to the valve. Took the hose off and the truck spitted, sputtered and died. I could hear the vaccume while messing with the hose. Does this mean that my PCV system is working right? Thanks Birk

Second part of this is, I have put on an air cleaner type air inlet on the passenger side valve cover. It had the hose running from the air cleaner to an inlet. As I read in the FSM, the PCV is a closed system. Will this type of air intake make a difference? Should I go back to the hose from air cleaner type? Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If you pull the hose off the PCV valve..the engine should die. (MAJOR vacuum leak, leans out the mixture enough it kills the engine.) If you pulled the PCV out still attached to the hose, the engine should not die. If it does, the ball inside the PCV valve is most likely gummed up and stuck. If you remove the PCV valve and shake it, you should hear the ball inside rattling. If you do not, spray some carb cleaner through it until the ball moves freely...or you can go get a new PCV valve for about $3.

Open breather is fine, as said.

-SM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts