Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator is on its way out and has been seeping coolant. It still cools just fine, but I don't have the money to replace it right now so I'm just gonna add coolant periodically to keep me going. Do you guys pre mix your coolant before pouring it in, or will it mix sufficiently while cycling through the engine?

Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
Just pour it in, it will cycle through, especially if it leaks.

Reactions: Callenjohnson

Registered
Pour it into the expansion tank, not the rad. The engine will pull it in as it needs it.

Reactions: Lzed

Registered
with a "seeping" radiator , the system will loose vacume and not "draw" coolent from recovery tank , me I'd add it to the radiator when cool and running .

Reactions: SuperBurban

Administrator
My radiator is on its way out and has been seeping coolant. It still cools just fine, but I don't have the money to replace it right now so I'm just gonna add coolant periodically to keep me going. Do you guys pre mix your coolant before pouring it in, or will it mix sufficiently while cycling through the engine?
If the leak is in one or two tubes that you can locate, you can mix up some JB weld, and push it in there.

I try to keep some jugs premixed, so I can pour them right in. But I have also tried to estimate while pouring in from the jug. 1/2 jug coolant, and then 1/2 jug water. Always telling myself I will test the coolant before winter, but I never seem to remember until we get the first cold nights.

Registered
Well, I've had seeping rads over the years that still pulled the coolant in from the expansion tank. If it's a serious leak then yes, it won't work so well but if it's seeping, it's worked for me.

Registered
If your seeping, and carrying a jug around in a truck just pre mix it. that way you dont have to worry, or really think about it, just dump it in when you need it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ended up dumping them right into the rad, and made a trip roughly 90 miles each way yesterday with no issues, other than it rides like shit but that's neither here nor there. All in all it only took about half a gallon of coolant and half a gallon of water, and it had been over a year since I had topped it off last so I guess the leak isn't as bad as I thought. The guy I bought it from had mentioned it to me when I bought it, that was back in December of '18. I've heard that the factory rads can have the weld that goes across the top fail eventually, it's got green residue there like its been seeping but it isn't ever wet. I think the leak is on the bottom somewhere, my transmission pan is coated with coolant, but the leak must be pretty slow because it hardly drips at all, there's only a few specs in the gravel where I've been parking for over a year.

Registered
You're fine. I add nearly a gallon a week to my Astro van. It doesn't leak much so I figure its going out the exhaust pipe, but it doesn't really drip or smoke either. The heater core is removed so it's not losing any there. And if I don't add any it still doesn't get hot nor go dry. I just keep it topped off for peace of mind.

Bucky

Administrator
Well I ended up dumping them right into the rad, and made a trip roughly 90 miles each way yesterday with no issues, other than it rides like shit but that's neither here nor there. All in all it only took about half a gallon of coolant and half a gallon of water, and it had been over a year since I had topped it off last so I guess the leak isn't as bad as I thought. The guy I bought it from had mentioned it to me when I bought it, that was back in December of '18. I've heard that the factory rads can have the weld that goes across the top fail eventually, it's got green residue there like its been seeping but it isn't ever wet. I think the leak is on the bottom somewhere, my transmission pan is coated with coolant, but the leak must be pretty slow because it hardly drips at all, there's only a few specs in the gravel where I've been parking for over a year.
I would look up a radiator shop in your area. Then swing by and ask them what they think. the top and bottom are soldered on, it could be that they just need to be resoldered. The old school stuff is easy to repair, its just a matter of finding someone that still does it.

Registered
I repair my own with some solder and a propane torch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts