Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Guys -- greetings --new to the site -- can anyone tell me the "easiest" direct late model (used) engine swap into a 1973 w200? It now has a dead, rusted & seized 318 cu engine etc now. I also have a non-running '74 w200 dodge power wagon with 360 which needs rebuilding -- the frame is shot -- so I plan to switch the '74 items to the good '73 rolling frame.  I know that many parts are the same from '74 to '92.  Would a later (used) engine bolt directly to the '73 setup (stock auto-trans etc)? What years do they still fit into the '73?  Thanks & appreciate any advice.

-- ken
(ok to direct email me if you like -- [email protected])

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Basically any 318 or 360 up until the "magnum" era (91?) should bolt in. Magnums can fit too but require more work & donor parts. They use different belt & accessory set-ups, computers, FI, etc.

The easiest is to stick to the carbureted motors, which is around pre 87.

Also 360's & 318" are balanced differently so you need the torque convertor that came with each respective engine.

A '68 to '86 318 would be your easiest choice.

Bucky

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there where 2 "types" of small block dodge motors , magnum and pre magnum known as L/A motors , over the years the L/A's fuel system changed , the distrubtor's insides changed , BUT the fuel parts and distributor  from any L/A will bolt on any L/A .  yes there is a difference in balancing , 318 is internally done , while 360 required weighted crank damper and flywheel/converter because it is externally balanced while the 318 parts there will bolt to a 360 they won't work without the balance .    so if you find an L/A that has the throttle body , and the newer distributor , you can use your intake manifold , and distributor in/with that motor .  IF the motor you find , has a throttle body and NO fuel pump on the motor , a 25 dollar LOW pressure in line fuel pump will work , some tbi's had a place for the fuel pump on motor , but lacked the bump on camshaft to drive one , and have just a cover there ... 

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
magnumswap.com

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
221 Posts
later (?1985+) could get you roller cam capability 360 or 318 swap isn't that hard just grab parts from the donor. if the one you get doesn't have a hole for a fuel pump the timing cover should swap over. if you aren't looking for better heads or a roller cam older is better- less smog- you want a dual plane intake if you can though.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
KG5JXO said:
later (?1985+) could get you roller cam capability 360 or 318 swap isn't that hard just grab parts from the donor. if the one you get doesn't have a hole for a fuel pump the timing cover should swap over. if you aren't looking for better heads or a roller cam older is better- less smog- you want a dual plane intake if you can though.
he wanted NO drama and with a 360 there is alot of drama = torque converter or custom flex plate - motor mount brackets - thats not a bolt in and go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.